Options

Home Network Upgrade Suggestions

jah8887jah8887 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hopefully this is OK to post in this forum.
I am overhauling my home network since its about few years old and I am starting to see flakiness with the wireless network. I have a couple of ideas that I was thinking about doing and just wanted to see what everyone thought or if I could improve on it. Layout of the house is a 2 story old farm house 2100 sq ft. It is a 3 bed 2 full bath house (non brick FYI). I recently upgraded my cable modem to Arris Surfboard 6190 Cable modem with my Comcast 75 Mbps internet connection but once I upgraded the cable modem speedtest.net is now saying I am pushing 120 Mbps :). My router currently is a TP-Link Archer C7 Wireless AC1750. My wireless is currently saturating the east side in both floors of the house but the west side of the house is down to 2 and sometimes 1 bar for both floors which I am trying to prevent. Currently I have 8 devices attached to my home network and sometimes it goes up to 10 or 12 devices and 4 of these devices need to be wired.

My first idea was to get another router like the Linksys WRT1900ACS or the Linksys WRT3200ACM and stick with the cable modem and single router idea.

My 2nd idea was to invest into a home WiFi system such as the Linksys Velop or Netgears Orbi. Anyone have experience with the home WiFi systems and if its worth it or not?

Comments

• Options
    CSCOnoobCSCOnoob Member Posts: 120
    My vote is to buy Ubiquiti APs. Though, they are expensive.

If you're looking to purchase a router, then my suggestion is buy Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite or X.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As soon as I raise the funds, I am going to Ubiquiti stuff. Looks awesome.

However, if you're looking for consumer grade equipment, you cannot go wrong with the ASUS line of equipment. I have had the RT-66U for over 5 years and I love it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S