Options

Please guide for Path from Server administrator to security field

sundarconfisundarconfi Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi Experts

Presently iam working as windows server administrator with 10 years of experience in system administration/ backup/ AD /Security Hardening etc. I was keen to enter into full time security area even though my present day today job involves closing VA Scan / pentest reports, maintaining compliance etc.

I have MCSE(2012 , 2k8, 2k3) along with CEH.

Kindly guide me how i can start preparing for CISSP. Whether my experience is enough for sitting CISSP exam.

i would like to enter in cybersecurity area.

Need your great inputs to move forward .. thanks in advance..

Comments

• Options
    HI Experts.. Kindly reply to my query... thx
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out the CISSP boards to read about people's experience with studying for the CISSP.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    DeltrusDeltrus Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Whether my experience is enough for sitting CISSP exam.

Your experience will help but is not enough to pass CISSP. You will need a few months of study for it.

You can already get jobs in security on the back of your CEH.
  • Options
    kurzonkurzon Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why do you want to jump into the CISSP train? If it is only for the hype, I think you should consider twice. I got SSCP from ISC2 for example, and it was much more suitable for a technical person like me than a managerial certification of CISSP.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    And what is it you want to do in 'Security' outside of the obvious 'get a job' thing. Really it sounds like a title change if your doing penetration testing and vulnerability scanning already.

Plenty of people have certs, no experience or expertise in anything but still manage to get hired. Still, it boggles my mind but it happens. Good news is that it appears that networking is riding high while the security field is seeing some much needed readjustment. Or in other words I am getting better offers to do network engineering and security than I am am for DFIR and traditional blue team stuff.

Always interesting.

- b/eads
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the awesome replies.. I am really passionate about security and i decided thats going to be my path in future with good technical skills.

My only concern is the years of experience in security for 10+ YEARS exp person in system administration.

sundar
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    https://www.isc2.org/cissp-how-to-certify.aspx

Follow that, do you have 5+ years in 2 or more of the 8 domains, then yes, you qualify.