Options

New IT Path

mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hi,

Soo I have my degree in computer science and I have a few years of Tech Support experience. I would like to tap into Security, but these jobs descriptions are kind discouraging. Are certifications the only way to possibly get into the field?

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mizterkewl wrote: »
    Hi,

Soo I have my degree in computer science and I have a few years of Tech Support experience. I would like to tap into Security, but these jobs descriptions are kind discouraging. Are certifications the only way to possibly get into the field?

No, there are other plenty ways, get promoted to security roles, get hired to security roles. There are various security roles bases on tasks that you will perform. Find one that is closer to your current job but also relates to security and then build on that. I moved from helpdesk to infosec too, just as many others have, but it takes some time and its a long road.
  • Options
    mizterkewlmizterkewl Member Posts: 122 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yeah there's not much growth potential with the company I am at now but I will try to find jobs closer related to the experiences I have.

Thank You