Options

Internship search.

lumenitelumenite Member Posts: 15 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hope everyone is having a blessed day. I dont know if this is the right place to post this but I'm hoping to get some kind of help/Guidance from the experienced professionals here. I am a graduate student residing Georgia, I am currently seeking an Internship position in the tech field. My interests are in security and networking but I am Pretty much opened to other career fields. Currently pursuing the ejpt certification from elearn security. I am also opened to relocating if needed. Cheers..!!

Comments

• Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Need a little more info from you on your background and what your degree is in. Sounds like you went from your Bachelor's right into an MS program. Also, what is your undergrad degree in?
  • Options
    @Kiki162 Yes, You are right, Straight from Bachelors to Ms. I had an undergraduate degree in accounting. I Interned at a local CPA firm but didn't enjoy doing the Tax/audit work at all. Majoring in Information technology/systems has always been my choice in college, but I took my Parent's advice decided to pick Accounting instead of IT which I was very passionate about.
  • Options
    kiki162kiki162 Member Posts: 635 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Accounting and auditing go together well. Take a look at ISACA website. You may not have enough experience under your belt yet, but if you take a look at a job search looking for CPA's with CISA or CISM certifications, you'll find a number of positions will pop up.

Again, I'm not sure what you are doing for your masters program (assuming accounting), but depending on how far you are into the program and whether you parents are supporting your tuition, you may want to look at getting a 2nd degree. Show them the correlation between accounting and auditing (or something along those lines) and make you case to them.

As far as your cert choice, you should look at getting more of the basic entry level certs that most companies know. Look at the CompTIA certs (A+, Net+, and Sec+), and go from there. Those certs can help you get into some help desk positions. If you really want to get a start in IT, you can always look at getting into computer sales or services (Best Buy/Geek Squad). Without some type of education or certifications to back you up, it's going to be tough.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I am pursuing a masters degree in Information technology not accounting, I know it is difficult to get in the field without any experience. I am hoping to do so through an internship position and also certifications.
  • Options
    philrozziphilrozzi Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm interested in an internship as well. I have a bachelor's currently but to the advice of people here I'm pursuing an A+ certification.

I've never done an internship before, do you guys have any advice on how to start my search? We have 2 major businesses in my area, the hospital and university. Should I email those places and ask to intern or should I email any business that may possibly have an IT department?
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    @lumenite

To play off your undergrad and the little bit of CPA auditing I'd look for positions such as IT auditing (I know this might not be your long term goal but might be your gateway into the IT career). As kiki said, check out the ISACA website, specifically the CISA certification.

For internships you could check out your local ISACA Chapter (google "ISACA and then your nearest metropolitan area") as well as the big 4. Working as an IT auditor you can gain exposure to many different industries and technologies and then figure out your next steps.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    reddishBreddishB Member Posts: 19 ■■□□□□□□□□
    @lumenite

To play off your undergrad and the little bit of CPA auditing I'd look for positions such as IT auditing (I know this might not be your long term goal but might be your gateway into the IT career). As kiki said, check out the ISACA website, specifically the CISA certification.

For internships you could check out your local ISACA Chapter (google "ISACA and then your nearest metropolitan area") as well as the big 4. Working as an IT auditor you can gain exposure to many different industries and technologies and then figure out your next steps.

I'm very new to the form so I dont know what "big 4 " means?What are they?thnx