Options

200-105 fail. Any resit advice?

WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
My score was 801/811 so I wasn't too far off but I found the exam to be really difficult. I read the Offical Cert Guide twice, watched Kevin Wallace's videos and did a lot of labbing but there were still some questions I had to guess and I know for sure they're not in the study material I used. I also passed all the Pearson pratice exams and Boson A and B first time so I thought I was well prepared.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/124489-passed-icnd2-200-105-a.html

I seen this thread about sourcing different learning material but I was really set on getting it out the way this month so I just went for it. It's definitely good advice if you have enough time.

I have a good idea of where I lost marks in the exam. I had no problem with any of the sims and I had 15 minutes left at the end so I wasn't rushed but there were knowledge gaps and a few questions where the answers are not black and white.
In a question that really stumped me, the scenario was simple and there were a few answers that were correct. I know it wants the best answer but I could barely find any bias as to why one would be more accurate. I found questions like that and anything with new terminology to be the hardest.

I'm pretty bummed about it but on the plus side I can appreciate the difficulty of the exam and the added work I'll need to do for a comfortable pass. Now I need a study plan for the resit, was thinking Todd Lammle's book and maybe another video course. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Also if you passed the 200-105 what did you use and how did you find the exam?

Comments

• Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should have been given a print-out from the testing center indicating what your percentages were for each topic. Study up on those topics and go take the test again. You were so close to passing. You may have only missed one of half a question (if it was multiple choice).
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I'd say since you already read through the OCG twice, maybe use Lammle's book. He covers things differently than Odom so it would help having two perspectives on the material.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. There's no dates until next month so I have a good amount of time to study.

Do you know if theres any difference between Todd's individual ICND1 / 2 books compared to the complete study guide?
  • Options
    He follows the guide very well. I actually prefer to read Todd's books over Odom's books. He has a very good way of conveying how something works.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm reviewing Todd's book before I go back in for the test. I have Odom and Lammle, I honestly didn't make it past a couple chapters with Odom, his writing style and way of explaining things didn't work for me.

I found Lammle to be refreshing with a little bit of humor and some real world examples. I failed my first time by 3 points but in my defense I was really sick at the time. Coupling Lammle's book and CBT nuggets really helped me to learn the material. So that when I finally hit the real world of networking I know the fundamentals.
  • Options
    I would say book the test for the next day available and read the chapters that pertain to the areas that were your weakest. Keep reading and watching videos. But don't over complicate things - meaning, you can do this by taking too many practice tests and just confusing yourself. This is what I did when I first took certifications.
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    Mike R wrote: »
    Coupling Lammle's book and CBT nuggets really helped me to learn the material. So that when I finally hit the real world of networking I know the fundamentals.

Yeah I've read a lot online about Odom vs Lammle. I had the same feeling as most about Odoms writing style, it too long winded but after a while I actually started to like it. Which of Lammles books did you get?
    MAC_Addy wrote: »
    I would say book the test for the next day available and read the chapters that pertain to the areas that were your weakest. Keep reading and watching videos. But don't over complicate things - meaning, you can do this by taking too many practice tests and just confusing yourself. This is what I did when I first took certifications.

Someone gave me similar advice about booking it asap. I actually feel worried about taking again it too soon. I can see how I could get a better score because the exam is quite fresh and it was a close fail but it was quite a struggle. I don't think theres any till Feb anyway which should be enough time to study Lammles book.

I know what you mean about taking too many practice tests, I did that before ICND1 and totally burned out.
  • Options
    Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have the previous test books before the test changed, then purchased the new ones for rev3 of the ccent and ccna.

ICND1 Study guide
    ICND2 Study guide