Options

Anyone reenter WGU after extended break

rcsoar4funrcsoar4fun Member Posts: 103 ■■□□□□□□□□
Long story, I started with WGU and killed a ton of credits (50ish) then had to take a break. After I restarted I got buried at work and home and ended up moving across the country. Thanks to some mis-information from my "mentor" I managed to complete squat during the last period. I have been out about a while since then.

Has anyone reapplied/reentered? How does one find out what is required in your degree plan (Network Security) based on what you have completed?

Any way to ensure I can get a different mentor? icon_lol.gif

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I sent you a PM. Just wanted to make sure you received it.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    amcnowamcnow Member Posts: 215 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.wgu.edu/admissions/restart

PCTechLinc may have already addressed this in the PM sent to you. I'll just add my $0.02 here since I'm at the tail end of this process.
    rcsoar4fun wrote: »
    Has anyone reapplied/reentered? How does one find out what is required in your degree plan (Network Security) based on what you have completed?
    They will perform a transcript evaluation to determine which previously completed courses will count toward completion of your current program of choice. If you're re-entering a program after it was updated, then expect completed courses to count only if they're part of the new curriculum.

This was the case for me. I took a 1.5 year break after completing half of the old MSISA program. I'm now restarting in the updated MSCSIA. Of the 8 courses I completed in MSISA, only 5 transferred to MSCSIA because the other 3 were dropped in the update. It all works out since I ultimately didn't lose any progress to program completion.
    Any way to ensure I can get a different mentor? icon_lol.gif
    I doubt it. icon_sad.gif Mentor assignment is based on availability. If the only mentor available for your restart date is your previous mentor, then that's who you'll get. Otherwise, you'd run the risk of delaying your (re)start date.
    WGU - Master of Science, Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    Completed: JIT2, TFT2, VLT2, C701, C702, C706, C700, FXT2
    In Progress: C688
    Remaining: LQT2
    Aristotle wrote:
    For the things we have to learn before we can do them, we learn by doing them.
  • Options
    amcnow wrote: »

I doubt it. icon_sad.gif Mentor assignment is based on availability. If the only mentor available for your restart date is your previous mentor, then that's who you'll get. Otherwise, you'd run the risk of delaying your (re)start date.

Put it this way "I'll wait". Mine was nothing but a vector to waste both of our time.
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    That sucks... I hope you can find a solution that allows you to keep all (or most) of your credits.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    bermovickbermovick Member Posts: 1,135 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Put it this way "I'll wait". Mine was nothing but a vector to waste both of our time.

You can always request a mentor change too; my wife had to at the very beginning of her first term as hers hadn't approved any of her classes yet or anything after ... I forget how long, but she was impatient.
    Latest Completed: CISSP

Current goal: Dunno
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    I applied for re-admission after a couple of years off. They can send you what classes you'll still need to take. I wouldn't wait too long if you plan on going back. The program could change and you may have to take more classes.
  • Options
    pevangel wrote: »
    I applied for re-admission after a couple of years off. They can send you what classes you'll still need to take. I wouldn't wait too long if you plan on going back. The program could change and you may have to take more classes.

I wouldn't mind a few extra classes if I didn't have to take that icon_mad.gif scripting fundamentals class.
  • Options
    pevangelpevangel Member Posts: 342
    Luckily my visual basic class from CC covered that, and I enjoy scripting anyway. Wait too long and you may have more scripting classes.