Options

CCNA prerequisite?

brasqobrasqo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey gang, I can't seem to locate a solid answer. The faq here seems to be outdated.
Recently got my security+ cert (yay), and think ccna would help my resume.
Am I able to take the ccna exam without having ccent? I'm not sure if I'm understanding how Cisco issues certs. Think I remember reading that Cisco will allow you to take ccna test, but will not issue the cert until you become ccent certed first (hope I misunderstood).

Appreciate any feedback.

Comments

• Options
    clarsonclarson Member Posts: 903 ■■■■□□□□□□
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

There is the one test version (200-125) or the two test version (100-105 200-105)

the 100-105 is the icnd1 or ccent exam.

So, you can take the one test version, which does cover topics from the 100-105 exam. And, not actually take the 100-105 exam.

Or, take the two test version, icnd1 and icnd2. And, you need to pass both exams for your ccna.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    That's incorrect. You can take the full CCNA exam 200-125 or you can split it into two parts and take the 100-105 ICND1 and the 200-105 ICND2 exams, which when combined equals the CCNA. Some people find it easier to pass the exams when it's split into two parts. Others say since your taking two tests, and each exam is more in-depth, it's easier to pass just one exam, since it half as many questions. I'm working on my CCENT now (which is the 100-105 ICND1 exam).
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • Options
    brasqobrasqo Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you! Appreciate you taking the time explaining
    clarson wrote: »
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccna

There is the one test version (200-125) or the two test version (100-105 200-105)

the 100-105 is the icnd1 or ccent exam.

So, you can take the one test version, which does cover topics from the 100-105 exam. And, not actually take the 100-105 exam.

Or, take the two test version, icnd1 and icnd2. And, you need to pass both exams for your ccna.
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    CCENT is not required. However, if you don't have much networking experience, take the two-test route. It really, really helps understand all the topics. In my opinion, taking the 200-125 is more for people who have been certified as a CCNA and/or have been in a networking position for a while. The ICND 1 & 2 are more for people who are new to networking. I went the two-test route, and believe me, it is worth it.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S
  • Options
    MitMMitM Member Posts: 622 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would say learn the material well enough so that you could pass both exams, but really only take the 1 exam (200-125)