Huzzah! Passed Security+ Today! Here's what I did to prepare

VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 MemberMember Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
Greetings Tech-Exams community,

Well, it's official - I'm Security+ certified icon_cheers.gif!!! Scored a 784 - not bad but a pass is a pass.

I'd like to thank those on the forums that helped me select the studying resources and those to stay away from.

Here's how I prepared for those that are studying icon_study.gif:

1.) Book I used - Darril Gibson's Get Certified Get Ahead Book - a must.
2.) I did subscribe to the premium content (from Darril Gibson). His performance-based questions helped a lot. Plus there's practice tests and such on there as well. Highly recommended if you want to pass the first go-'round.
3.) The practice tests on this site.
4.) Made flash cards and my own "**** sheets" to study from. Writing concepts down over and over helped me out a ton.
5.) Other "quick tests" I could find online.

I did NOT use brain ****. Bad idea.

On to the next one - Certified Ethical Hacker!!!!!

VV5 out!
B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
J.D. Candidate (2L)
In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
Next: GCIA/GCWN and/or GCUX/PMP/GSE
Next after next: Med school!!!!! Lol

Comments

• p@r0tuXus[email protected] Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations! :D
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the Pass!!! icon_cheers.gif
  • NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA CCNA R&S, ITIL, Security+ ZZ9ZZAMember Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bravo Zulu!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats and good luck with the CEH!
  • VictorVictor5VictorVictor5 Member Member Posts: 77 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks all I appreciate it!

VV5
    B.S. Electrical Engineering, M.S. Electrical and Computer Engineering, PhD Electrical and Computer Engineering
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
    In the books: CompTIA Network+, Security+, CEH, Associate of (ISC)^2, GIAC: GSEC, GAWN, GCIH, GPEN, GCFA
    ProBoard: FF I & II; HAZMAT: Awareness, Operations, and Technician; Fire Instructor I; NREMT: EMT-B. Next up: Fire Officer I
    Currently Working on: PE-Electrical and Electronics, Patent and State Bars, and Juris Doctor (law degree)
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratss!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,177 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats!
    Certs Gained 2018: CCENT ,210-255 ( Cyber Security Operations)
    Upcoming: ICND2, CTT, 210-250 (Cyber Security Fundamentals)

Isaiah 28:10 - For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept; line upon line; here a little, and there a little.
  • TPowellTPowell Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Did you use the "Extras" test under the GCGA premium package? I didn't understand that at all. Many Linux questions that weren't in the book at all and several other uncovered topics. I did well on the other material including the performance based questions (70-80% mostly)
    TPowell,

Sorry I missed your response. I did use the Extras test just to help reinforce my understanding. Honestly, when I took the exam, the simulation section from GCGA really helped. Without that, I would not have passed. If I had to choose between the two, I'd focus on the simulations. Obviously your mileage may vary, but yeah I was doing the questions until I got at least a 90%.
    J.D. Candidate (2L)
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 502 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • rj1790rj1790 Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I loved the Darril Gibson online material! Congrats!
    WGU: Network Operations and Security - COMPLETED
    Current Certifications: A+, N+, S+, CCNA R+S, and CCNA Security, CCDA
  • sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Gaming Tech Expert Silicon Valley, CAMember Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • GeekyChickGeekyChick CISSP, CEH, CCNA, Sec+, Splunk Member Posts: 317 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Nice! Congratulations! Did you think it was harder, easier or about the same as the N+? I'm asking because I'm studying for the Security+ and I just took the N+ a few weeks ago.
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass
  • cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    Congrats!
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 615 ■■■■■□□□□□
    @GeekyChick,

In some ways I think it was more difficult than N+ because there is a lot more material that is covered on Sec+. I honestly believe that having the Premium content from Darril Gibson really helped, especially the performance based questions, which were pretty much on the exam in some variant or another. If I didn't make that investment, I wouldn't have passed.

VV5
    J.D. Candidate (2L)