Options

Official and unofficial study methods for the CEH

ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
Good afternoon all

I'm going to start studying for my CEH in a week or so and I just wanted to get everyone's opinion on the different study methods for this exam because I'm a bit confused as to which path to take...

1. From the threads I've been reading, nobody seems to be doing the "official" training through EC-council and they choose to go on their own path. From what I'm seeing on their web site the best option for me would be to go the iLearn (self-paced) route but is $1,899 worth everything that they give you to prepare? I really am liking the idea of being able to have study material AND labs all in one package.

2. What's the difference between the courseware only (self-study) and just buying your own study material (Matt Walker's book, Boson practice exams, etc)? Does the "courseware only" option actually have all of the study material that you'd need?

3. If I did go the route of self-study, where would I be able to get the labs that EC-Council provides with their iLearn course? Boson?

Thanks all.

P.S. Employer is paying for this so money is not really "a thing" per say.

Comments

• Options
    coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    my plan

* Matt Walkers AIO book - (currently in chapter 5)
    * Boson practice exams
    * actual exam

everyone is going to be different but that is my plan
    I take handwritten notes as I read & create flash cards.
    It's something about the actual process of writing things down that does it for me.

much of this CEH information is repeat from previous material
    & also have some experience with the tools they want you to understand

that said, these exams, study books, practice tests & application fees always add up
    everyone seems to complain about every exam (its not real world & this & that)
    (I just passed the CISM exam & now waiting for my application to be processed)

these exams are best we got right now for a specific area & I do pick up some things
    something is better than nothing.
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grab any number of after market books, read everything, download a few tools, give yourself a weekend to do those labs and take the test.

Hopefully, your taking the exam to satisfy a degree requirement and nothing more. There are many of us who see the exam as an enrichment device for those who work at the EC-Council company and nothing more.

YMMV and good luck.

- b/eads
  • Options
    ElegyxElegyx Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    my plan

* Matt Walkers AIO book - (currently in chapter 5)
    * Boson practice exams
    * actual exam

everyone is going to be different but that is my plan
    I take handwritten notes as I read & create flash cards.
    It's something about the actual process of writing things down that does it for me.

much of this CEH information is repeat from previous material
    & also have some experience with the tools they want you to understand

that said, these exams, study books, practice tests & application fees always add up
    everyone seems to complain about every exam (its not real world & this & that)
    (I just passed the CISM exam & now waiting for my application to be processed)

these exams are best we got right now for a specific area & I do pick up some things
    something is better than nothing.

Thanks for the reply. Any reason why you went Boson practice exams instead of Transcender?
  • Options
    coffeeisgoodcoffeeisgood Member Posts: 136 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Elegyx wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Any reason why you went Boson practice exams instead of Transcender?

reading here...

everyone points to

Boson