Options

Question regarding Server 2012 VMs

Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

Currently in my 3rd Networking with Active Directory course, were running the following OSes from a single removable 256GB SSD:

-Win 8 (host, with Hyper V installed)
-Win Server 2012 (VM1)
-Win Server 2012 (VM2)
-Win 8.1 (VM3, client)

Each of our workstations has: i7 CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM

I have a system at home with a hot swap SSD tray with the following: AMD 5800k 3.6GHZ, 16GB DDR3 RAM.

Question is, can my home system run all 3 VMs at once? I'd like to have a home setup to practice hands on stuff for the final exams.
Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Your system should be able to run all three VMs, but you might have to limit the amount of RAM you use for each VM. My laptop has 32GB of RAM, and when I was working on my Master's project, I had about 10 Server 2012 R2 VMs, and I had to make sure they didn't consume all my host memory. They ran a bit slower, since I like to give each VM 4GB of RAM, but I was still able to get everything done.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    Nafe92014Nafe92014 Member Posts: 279 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Our setup lab that we did on our workstations last weeks says to use 4GB of RAM for each VM. That should be enough to not affect my host machine. I plan to set up a DC, an RODC, and some primary/secondary zones.
    Certification Goals 2020: CCNA, Security+

"You have enemies? Good, that means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life." ~Winston S. Churchill