Cbt nuggets - new update coming

twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
The cbtnuggets course is being updated for server 2012.
it will not be James Conrad.
another instructor is doing updates. Garth ???

they will be adding quizzes also.

Comments

• Louie1277Louie1277 Member Posts: 505 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ya we will see how long that will take. I really didn't like James to much talking about personal stuff and not focusing on the material.
    2018 Goals: 70-410 [X], 70-411 [],70-412 [] :bow: 410- Passed!!!!!!

My Goal for the Future
    2012 - *MCSA*(WHO KNOWS WHEN) KEEP FAILING!!!! Not enough time to pass the last 2 exams.
    2021 - *Security+*
    2022 - * Pen Tester*
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    I'm attending MCSA 2012 courses now for exam 410 (now), 411 (soon) and 412 (soon). Any update will be welcome. :)
  • GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    May not be a whole lot longer until it's completed, their site shows Garth is working on video 76 of 94 for the 70-410. Seems like a lot of videos to cover one exam, but it looks like the majority are less than 10 minutes each. Looks like PowerShell is used quite a bit throughout this new course as well.

I didn't mind James' series and I don't mind Garth. I liked Garth's little "What New in Server 2016" informative series.
  • TNboundTNbound Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If Im not mistaken, you can start watching them even if the series isnt finished.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am now finding Garth's videos now available.
    there are 80 videos listed. But, as mentioned a few are still not available.

i've started with video 1 and really liking it!
    with each video is a test. The test will help that you caught all concepts in video.
    i like the videos all seem to be in 10 min or less range.

along with quizzes are virtual labs.
    i haven't done lab yet, but in previews show in videos these are going to be great!

hope to get thru another 5 videos tomorrow!

i think new updated series is going to be great!

i have heard the 411 is in process of being updated too. Instructor will be Garth.
  • FullofBitFullofBit Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Nice! Just in time too! Hopefully the videos will be finished before my subscription is over.
  • Markioa1983Markioa1983 Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    twodogs62 wrote: »
    The cbtnuggets course is being updated for server 2012.
    it will not be James Conrad.
    another instructor is doing updates. Garth ???

they will be adding quizzes also.

Sorry, do you not mean Windows Server 2016?
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I watched an earlier version of the Windows Server 2012 videos, as I was studying at the time. During James' recordings, he mentioned that CBTNuggets was adopting a new format, that each video is around 10 minutes in length. I happened to like the old format (minus the personal ramblings) because I got a lot more technical information and explanations. Now every video is more "focused" to each objective, which explains why each video is ~10 minutes long.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm not a big fan of James going on and on about personal stuff. This is one reason why I stayed away from CBT Nuggets for server 2012. Maybe the new guy and format will be better.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Speaking of James, he just announced on Facebook that he is no longer with CBTNuggets. He didn't say why, but he said his FB account would be deleted in a day or two. I personally liked a lot of his videos. He did ramble on about personal stuff at times, but I liked his technical content. Oh well, I hope he does well wherever he goes.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Still really liking Garth's new server 2012 course.
    videos missing appear to be there, so their are 80 videos now.
    the course is aligned to objectives.
    he seems to stay right on target and just covers the materials without any extra fluff.

yes, this is server 2012 410 course.

i heard he is also updating the 411 course.

i have only watched 11 videos, but some videos have lab to go with each topic. And a short quiz.

i like. Watching and taking notes. Plan to rewatch and monitor notes.

i would say lot more focused on command line and powershell.
  • chopstickschopsticks Member Posts: 389
    Har? James's leaving? How sad! icon_sad.gif
  • actionhank1786actionhank1786 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    I watched an earlier version of the Windows Server 2012 videos, as I was studying at the time. During James' recordings, he mentioned that CBTNuggets was adopting a new format, that each video is around 10 minutes in length. I happened to like the old format (minus the personal ramblings) because I got a lot more technical information and explanations. Now every video is more "focused" to each objective, which explains why each video is ~10 minutes long.

One thing I did like about shorter videos (I've got a Pluralsight account and CBT Nuggets account) is that it's easier to go back and watch for one specific thing. The frustrating part with certain CBT Nuggets videos was always trying to get to the part I needed to see, instead of just selecting a shorter video to get there.

In regards to James, the random stories would get kind of old, but I think he did a great job at teaching the material at hand. I'd just zone out on re-watches, then focus back in for the story.
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the recommendation! I have a few more retakes left in my booster pack and I think that this series will get me over the hump.

I've been using the new series in combination with Pluralsight, ITfreetraining (Youtube), MCSA/MCSE Learning Channel (Youtube), NetworkedMinds (Youtube), and Infinite Skills. I've also been reading Poulton and Technet. This new series by CBTNuggets is definitely the best video/lab resource available for the 70-410. I find myself using the nuggets labs more than my Hyper-V lab. Hopefully I can pass this darn test before my booster pack expires on March 25th.
  • usernickusernick Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I can recommend the Garth Shulte 70-410 course as I used it as a "revision" task after I'd gone through the James Conrad course/lab/Poulton book.

I do like the way he concentrates on Powershell commands - something that was lacking somewhat in the James Conrad series - it could be, I suppose, that the earlier exams were less Powershell oriented?
  • KinecticKinectic Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    will check it out