Options

Passed, now looking for CPE providers

flyingemberflyingember Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
First my question, what online video training sites count for CPEs? I can't find a list of who they accept.

I started studying back in Nov 2014. Kind of halfway studied for six months and trailed off. Picked up again in summer 2015 and kind of trailed off.

Finally scheduled my test for 13 weeks out, on Jan 9. Had to pick a date to push myself. Tried to study each night, probably did 5-10 hours per week over the 13 weeks. Passed on my first try.

took 3.5 hours for the actual test. I had maybe 40 marked at the end and changed a third of these.

my background is a solid 9 years doing tasks in their list so a lot of the technical aspects I was well versed on, just needed to know the fundamentals better. I believe the technical background helped me pass the test, I wouldn't have been as confident on the questions otherwise.

I studied in two batches.
i read the previous edition Shon Harris book, part of a Microsoft book in early 2014 to early 2015. I had a question set with both books and I used this to build lists of areas to study more. I ended up with 200-300 review topics and I probably actually reviewed half of them.

I then used a question set from the latest Shon Harris practice test. I studied based on what a didn't know from it. I watched some Skillsoft videos months before my employer offered for free (not good. The guy tended to repeat the same info over and over rather than covering needed information quicker or in depth. I studied what I didn't know from it). I did a batch in skillet in the summer and then moved onto reading web page content to fill in what I didn't know.

basically I always reviewed topics I didn't know. The more I could fit in the better.

Near the end I did some final focused reviewing. the Skillset videos on YouTube are actually decent relative to the time spent. Worth the effort. The skillset website questions are hit or miss. Being crowd sourced they have bad questions but also have some really good ones. If they make more effort to curate them the will get better.

The best resource I had was actually the official book and I didn't use it enough. The summary of each chapter is a good benchmark, where I knew I couldn't explain what it said I should be able to I reviewed more. Most importantly, their lists seemed most accurate to the test, like if you need to know the steps for X, these lists were the gold standard. I memorized several key areas I knew I needed to like risk management, BCP and such from their book and they helped me.

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    CPEs for which certification? CISSP, SSCP, or some other? I'm assuming for an (ISC)2 cert.

Also, did you only pass the exam or are you also fully (ISC)2 certified? Unless you will be floating as an Associate of the (ISC)2 for a while, getting the full (ISC)2 certification is the next step after passing the exam.
  • Options
    flyingemberflyingember Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    CISSP

validation for certification is pending, building my list of CPE locations for when that's finished so I'm ready.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fed vte if you are a veteran...

(ISC)2 web site... ( ezine and quiz)

conferences and seminars

webinars

other training courses etc
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've used:

- SANS webcasts: https://www.sans.org/webcasts/upcoming
    - (ISC)2 InfoSecurity Professional magazine/quizzes: https://www.isc2.org/infosecurity_professional/default.aspx
    - Any trainings (SANS, Splunk, QRadar), seminars, and local security events
    - I even submitted the number of hours I spent doing self-study for CEH and it was accepted.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just to add about self study for exams such as CEH, this is from the ISC2 CPE guide

"Members who have studied to obtain an additional professional certification and are awarded that
    certification can claim up to 30 CPE credits for the preparation or self-study work they did to achieve
    that certification. If the additional certification is related to the domains of members’ (ISC)2 credential, they would earn 30 Group A credits. "
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
    I get all my CPEs by attending InfoSec-related meetings, conferences, symposiums, etc. You get one CPE per hour of attendance. Over the course of a year you can pick up 40-50 CPEs easy. And the best part is that CPEs are stackable on to multiple cert vendors (ISC2, CompTIA, GIAC, EC-Council, etc.).
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Don't forget podcasts, can listen on your commute and they count, also free.