Options

Jobs in computer networks and systems

skivesskives Member Posts: 92 ■■□□□□□□□□
I am graduating from college this december with a BS in Computer Networks and Systems and I am going to take my CCNA test this summer. Any suggestions on what job is good for a person coming right out of college? Like what keywords should I use to search for jobs on monsters? I am really looking for an entry level job since I really don't have in field experince.

Thanks
John

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd suggest wording your resume to describe the type of job your looking for. Some jobs are just hard or impossible to get coming out of college...like for instance, not many people will hire you as a network administrator without prior experience. I had to settle with low paying helpdesk jobs before anyone would hire me as a simple computer technician.

Now I'm helping someone run a computer shop in Orlando while I study for the rest of my certifications. It's not what I want to be doing, but I have to take what I'm given so that I can get a better job further down the road. ;)

One of these days I plan to move up north to washinton state or something, but I'm too poor right now.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    mwillmwill Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes KGhaleon is right. Most people coming out of college have a false belief they will jump right into a network admin job. Untrue unless you know someone in the company or you have networked with people very well during your college days and get lucky.

So my point is, don’t get disappointed when you graduate and no one will give you that position. I'm not saying your thinking this way, I’m just generalizing and saying most people do, hell even myself after graduating college. I soon found out it’s not like that. Heres how I went:

Tech support @ Dell
    Tech support analyst @ Healthcare Company
    Network Administrator @ Industrial plant

- I think I got lucky and skipped a few steps. Others have Desktop support, and Jr Admin, etc etc… So I’m fortunate

Took me some time, but we all have to pay our dues.

And to answer you question. I would honestly shoot for the stars. Meaning, even though you don’t have the experience on your resume to do these jobs, hell still fill out those applications and send in your resume for those jobs, but also send in the ones for the more realistic jobs, that you do qualify for. Such as help desk, PC tech, Jr system admin.

SO: Send in resumes for the high level jobs and lower entry level jobs, don’t settle for less, you never know if you get a call back from one of those high level jobs. Don’t start at the bottom, start at the top and work your way down.. That’s my opinion!
    Marcus Williamson
  • Options
    wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    These guys are right. It's not going to be a cake walk coming out of college. My brother got his degree from DeVry and he had to settle for a tech support job paying a measley $12 bucks or something for a few months. It took him maybe 10+ months, but he got lucky and was able to get into a software testing contract position for Micro$oft that pays $20/hr. He's only been there about 6+ months, but now different employers see his resume on monster.com and they flood him a bunch of jobs if he's interested.

I spoke with the Network Admin at my place of work (no I'm not in IT, although I just graduated too and it's a pain to find someone who wants to hire you), and he says to volunteer. Volunteering will help on your resume too. A lot of companies ask you to list all professional work you've done, paid or unpaid.

I'm going to shoot for a help desk position, then find part time work at a computer shop or do something of that nature. Certs definately help, but experience is just as important.

The key is to try to get into that interview somehow and impress the heck out of the hiring managers. It starts with your resume and cover letter.