Is this cheating?

wavebenderwavebender Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

I am planning to attempt CCENT 100-105 next week after month of studies. I have worked out following "**** sheet". Is it considered cheating if I will memorize it and write it down on the sheet of paper provided for the exam by the examination center? I made that to speed up subnetting and it works well for me.

Dec

Oc4

/25

/26

/27

/28

/29

/30

/31

/32

Oc3

/17

/18

/19

/20

/21

/22

/23

/24

Oc2

/9

/10

/11

/12

/13

/14

/15

/16

Oc1

/1

/2

/3

/4

/5

/6

/7

/8

Net #

Host #

Net ID

Comments

• PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I write similar notes when I take an exam. There's nothing wrong with the content of your notes, as long as you don't try to remove them from the testing center. You also can't start writing your notes until you actually click "Start Exam" on their computers.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    No, it's not cheating. They'll give you a laminated paper with a dry-erase marker and a paper-towel. I'd recommend writing down anything that you think will help you move through the exam as quickly as possible. I might also suggest taking your time with the simulations. Once you select that "next" button, you can't go back. So be confident in your answer.
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say this is good practice, certainly not cheating
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • ccie14023ccie14023 Member Posts: 183
    In fact, it is not cheating to memorize anything at all and brain **** it all onto the pad when you get there. As long as you didn't memorize actual test questions. I've been taking these exams for years and always review a bunch of stuff in the car before going in and then **** it all onto the pad before I forget it. It's allowed, so there's no shame in it as far as I'm concerned.
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    To be honest....I would memorize most of that so you don't have to write it down. The time you will have to take to write that on the paper probably won't be worth it. Writing down the binary information....128, 64, 32, 16, etc. should be all you need to write down if anything. If you need to write more than that, you should be practicing subnetting ALOT more.
  • YuukuS13YuukuS13 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    My Cisco professor said to do this BEFORE you start the exam, that way it doesn't eat up your time... and to write anything else that might be useful. But it's not cheating as long as you do it in the exam room from a blank sheet.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    YuukuS13 wrote: »
    My Cisco professor said to do this BEFORE you start the exam, that way it doesn't eat up your time... and to write anything else that might be useful. But it's not cheating as long as you do it in the exam room from a blank sheet.

This is taken from the Cisco site listing the Pearson Vue testing rules:

"If I am given an erasable noteboard or exam-specific materials, I will not use them until after the exam has started. I will not remove these items from the testing room at any time during the exam, and I will return them to the administrator immediately after the exam."

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en_us/training-events/downloads/candidate_rules_agreement.pdf

You have to sign and date each time you sit for an exam. If you start taking notes before you start the exam, the proctor can actually remove you from the testing site and recommend a ban to sit for another Pearson / Cisco exam.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If it works for you and your exam is in a week I would write it down. I did something similar for CCENT, it was multiples of 16 and powers of 2. Wrote it out a couple of times everyday before the exam.

If it adds a good amount of speed and accuracy compared doing it in your head then its worth the few minutes you would lose.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's a bigger chart then you need but I wrote down the binary numbers on my sheet before starting my exam.
  • dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The only thing you can take into the exam is what's in your head. If you can memorize this it's no different to any other memory aid people use.

* For instance I remember the location of a Standard ACL (STD) as having to be close to the DST (Destination) for instance.
    * NTP sounds like 123
    * FTP Port 21 the 1 reminds me of the L in control.
    * DHCP Port 67 (Seven -> Server)

These are just tricks we use to remind ourselves of stuff. Not cheating, just memory aids.
  • yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's how I did it. Write down the subnet chart/math shortcuts during the beginning tutorial. Helps prevent silly math mistake counting in 8s if you have to think about a subnet with a range up in the 200s.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Only if you get caught. :) Just kidding.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.
  • mdhisapromdhisapro Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Notes like this I normally jot down during the 5 - 10 minutes of test practice they give you when you hit start exam and it shows you how to answer the test questions. before you officially start the questions.
  • WastedHatWastedHat Member Posts: 132 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would say it's pretty obvious that it wants you to wait until the exam starts before you make any notes. I guess people don't and its fine lol I wouldn't risk it though