Options

New member and looking for CISSP Study partners/group

UmaRajUmaRaj Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Been IT professional for last 18 years, as developer to BSA to Managing small team. Currently in Security governance group providing data to auditors and provide basic consultation to business domains that we support.

With that said, I started reading for CISSP last year, but could not get myself committed.. I am looking to moving into security roles in the future and wanted to get my feet wet on CISSP, the hard one..

Working full time, live in the US, mom to 5th grade twin boys, so my hours are limited.. I am looking for a group to study with, so i have the accountability.. Looking to take the exam in summer (July-Aug timeframe)..

Anyone like to join me?

Thanks and appreciate the motivation.. you all look so professional and committed..

Best Wishes,
Uma

Comments

• Options
    pinksjpinksj Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hi Uma,
    I a ready to work with you. I am planning take the exam in May if possible. Started with Official Sybex book.
  • Options
    Super: should we consider emailing or creating whatsapp group, and not pollute this forum for our group study??

I am planning to start with my weakest domains, so started with Network security.
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Am in too.

prefer whats up group...
  • Options
    mbishaeymbishaey Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am in too guys
    Booked my exam for April and recently started my study
    A bit of motivation would definitely help :)
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm down, planning to take the exam in April. Took some practice tests and score decently around 70% without reading anything. I'm going to read 11th Hour CISSP, find my weak areas then hit the Sybex Official Study guide on those.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    Nice.. I will send you my contact number via IM, pls share yours, we will form a group.. April-May-July exam takes so far... Let's motivate each other..
  • Options
    Unable to IM you all.. Sent friend request. Hope once you accept, We will be able to IM..
  • Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    count me in too!
  • Options
    DntH8MeDntH8Me Member Posts: 73 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Also looking to take the exam on May 2nd and I can use all the motivation I can get
    2019 Certification Goals: ​CEH | PenText + | CISM? | stop procrastinating
  • Options
    amar611amar611 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Count me in too!!
  • Options
    dkndkn Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am interested n joining the group . But I am planning to take the exam march or April. Starting with Sybex and reading NIST documents. After finishing each chapter, I am planning to take the ISC test engine
  • Options
    Good bunch.. great.. Dont know how to IM each of you..

Send me an email with your contact number,name to uma.hrms@gmail.com, i will create whatsapp group or stick to email chain..

We now have from May - July exam takers, we have to figure out how to motivate each other and accountable to what is being committed...

Not too techie, but was thinking may be we can share a google spreadsheet, fill in your plans and dates and make your updates there, so everyone can see your progress and pressure you if you are deviating.. icon_wink.gif.. other suggestions are welcome as well.

~Uma
  • Options
    josdavi2josdavi2 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am also interested and planning to take the exam some time in March
  • Options
    Any possibility of creating whatsapp group?
  • Options
    Hi All, Happy friday..

I responded to this thread with my email, i guess it is pending at Admin to appear here.. Let's wait for today.. Otherwise we will use this thread to manage us.. :)
    :D

Cheers,
    Uma
  • Options
    Blade3DBlade3D Member Posts: 110 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ya I definitely would like some sort of IM groupchat, someone mentioned whatsapp, I'd be fine with skype or something else as well.
    Title: Sr. Systems Designer
    Degree: B.S. in Computing Science, emphasis Information Assurance
    Certifications: CISSP, PSP, Network+, Security+, CySA+, OSWP
  • Options
    esmall2esmall2 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Check out this new Facebook group. It's just getting started, but I feel that interacting with other CISSP professionals who can answer questions, provide guidance, and offer advice might be beneficial. People also post some great resources. www.facebook.com/groups/975534849243913/
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    add another one to the list. I will be attending a once a week boot camp in April.

What do you guys think about Slack for meetup? no install required.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    DocRoyDocRoy Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would like to join as well.
  • Options
    wolf9081wolf9081 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am in too. I am taking CISSP March 18th and GISP 28 March.
  • Options
    sundarconfisundarconfi Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi All.. Iam in too..

I just started studying for CISSP and looking to complete by june..

Let me know the leads to join in your group if any.

Regards
    sundar
  • Options
    msedeebmsedeeb Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys, i wish to join you as well.
  • Options

User name
    Examdate

josdavi2
    march

wolf9081
    mar18

mbishaey
    april

Blade3D
    april

dkn
    april

dntH8ME
    may2nd

pinksj
    May

malindak

eddo1

amar611

esmall2

xxxkaliboyxxx

DocRoy

sundarconfi
    june

msedeeb

UmaRaj
    July

commit to this week goal, you can go as elaborate as you want and report back if you have completed it... Let's root for March exam takers..
  • Options
    vijaytyagi@msn.comvijaytyagi@msn.com Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Count me in , I have reschedule my exam twice , now booked it for June , need motivation of like minded people to keep it rolling
  • Options
    LucadeLucade Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please count me in too! How to i join the whatsapp group?
  • Options
    PJQJRPJQJR Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I too am planning to take the test between Mar-May, would love to be added to the group as well...
  • Options
    jelevatedjelevated Member Posts: 139
    I've already passed the exam, LMK if any help is needed.
  • Options
    jelevated wrote: »
    I've already passed the exam, LMK if any help is needed.

Please do share your experience and the study plan you followed.

this might help others to prepare..

Finally Congratz on the Pass
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I will share mine as well. I passed 11/10/16 and received my congratulatory email 12/28/16.

Study materials:
    FedVTE CISSP course - nice to have but not really necessary. if you have access then worth watching
    Sybex 7th Ed. - definitely a good source. highly recommended
    cybrary.it - Kelly does a great job of translating the theory into something more relatable. Not the most technical source but a must do IMO.
    McGraw-Hill practice tests. these are based off the old 10 domain system but still gives a good idea of your weak areas - https://www.mhprofessionalresources.com//sites/CISSPExams/exam.php?id=AccessControl
    Skillsoft - the learning material was a little dry and probably not necessary if you use the above but the practice tests were a great resource

If you are limited in time or funds I would suggest the Sybex 7th Ed and cybrary.it, as well as the McGraw Hill practice tests. This would be a minimum I would suggest.

And of course, I have to give a ton of credit to the members here on TE that gave me this great advice so I am paying it forward!
  • Options
    Congratulations... :) Enjoy reading/testing free days.
This discussion has been closed.