Options

70-270 WinXP still valuable because of Vista Release ???

ragnar79ragnar79 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,
i am new into MS Certs and I think the best start would be the 70-270 exam. Do you think that it is still valuable to do this exam or should I wait until Windows Vista will be released?

Thanks

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    don't wait, it'll be awhile before the new exams come out and plus not everyone will upgrade immediately. or at all.
    witty comment
  • Options
    that's what I think. If the release would be January 2007 they won't offer the new exams before middle of 2007??
  • Options
    tonydotigrtonydotigr Member Posts: 129
    This exam is still extremely valuable. It can take some organizations years to adopt.

With the way MSFT has been pushing back Vista and rising RAM prices who knows when or where you'll see this. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Even if Vista would become available next week, 70-270 would still be 'the' client to go for when going for MCSA/E.
  • Options
    jamesthatsmeukjamesthatsmeuk Member Posts: 49 ■■□□□□□□□□
    i asked this question to myself to my instructor.

I was told that just because microsoft are bringing out a new OS doesnt mean that every company will jump at the chance to buy it. alot of companies might not bother and keep with XP or 2000 even.

I compleatly agree with what he said.

Its def going to be worth keeping at this exam.
    Just like some companies are still being asked to have that IT staff to have the server 2000 exam.
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After several years in IT:

1) There are tons of companies out there that aren't even upgraded from NT/98 yet. There are no plans to retire the MCSE 2k track for a while.

2) Even if it did, the 2k3 track will be around for some time. I bet it'll be around until after 2010.

3) Since vista is natively 64 bit, and most apps in the financial/medical world alone have yet to be ported from 16-bit (which Vista won't support at all), they won't be upgrading for a LONG time. Too much money invested.

4) IF you've ever worked on the testing phase, you know that testing an app with KNOWN security patches and a venerable OS can be trying. It'll take yet more time to test it once it's available. Most IT depts wont' touch it for at least a year.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    keatronkeatron Member Posts: 1,213 ■■■■■■□□□□
    As a general rule of thumb, MSCE/MCSA exam tracks typically don't change until a new server OS is released.
  • Options
    Thanks to all for the replies. You actually confirmed my thoughts about this matter so I don't have to worry about taking an soon or later expiring exam.

I forgot that Vista is 64 bit and that all the hardware needs to be updated. This would make the companies invest a lot of money. Skully already mentioned it. And why should the companies go for Vista when they can manage their business with NT/2k/XP Clients and 2k / 2k3 Servers??

I just wanted to get sure that i won't chose the wrong way because I am going to finance the exams by myself.
  • Options
    riccoman63riccoman63 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I could be wrong, but I thought I read or heard that Vista is 64 bit, but backward compatible with 32 bit apps. Someone I am sure will comment on this fact. Thanks.
    Besides, why put off tomorrow what you can do today, right?
    So, take the test....

Wish me luck, I take mine this tuesday.
    Rodney
  • Options
    Mohamid1Mohamid1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI guys :)

I just wanted to know if there is anything better then the software which I am useing at the moment which is Transcender software for the 70-270 exam which I hope to book and pass first time :D:D
  • Options
    jescabjescab Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,321
    nope -
    I think Transcender is the best.
    GO STEELERS GO - STEELERS RULE
  • Options
    Mohamid1Mohamid1 Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    THANKS JESCAB :D:D:D:D

I have the timer on standard which is 120 min for 60 questions...sometimes I just cant sit in front of the screen.... I just get a little put off icon_sad.gif and have to go away for a bit and relax... then I come back..

do you know anyway that will help me get through this...How do I tackle this problem... I do complete the full 60 questions in the end, I just want to know any way you think that will help me