Options

Study Method??

sleemiesleemie Member Posts: 109
Since there's so much material to grasp, what method of studying do some of you recommend? This is how I started...

Started out with the Bosim simulator, trancsender and the dummies book and some stuff from the internet.

First thing I started studying was subnetting and got a good feel for that.

Then I did like 30 or so of the bosom labs and got a good feel for fooling around on a router.

Then I read the dummies book and jotted down everything from the book that I felt I needed to remember for the test.

Then I started going through the transcender questions and memorizing all of the questions that are straight memorization type things, and I was also able to work through just about all of the subnetting problems.

I was completely lost when it got to troubleshooting questions and anaylzing the show commands, so now i've got the sybex book and since I've gotten an overall feel from the dummies book i'm starting out by taking the test at the end of the chapter (have only done chapter one so far) and then going back to review what I'm sketchy on.

So, now that it's time to really get in the nitty gritty and understanding the routing protocols and analyzing the show commands and VLANs and so forth, what's the best approach? Should I just pick one protocol and learn it cold and then move to the next, or should I go over all of the ones i need to know...OSPF, EIGRP, RIP v2, and get a general understanding of each one and then go back and try to learn all the details of each one? Then what about approaching that rest of the stuff...VTP and VLANS, etc.?

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually used to study in a coffee shop. ;)
    I would just grab my books and read in the shop which was located in a bookstore, while sipping on a bottle of soda or munching on a pretzel. I've probably read every CCNA book out there, but that still didn't keep me from failing. You don't just want to read and understand the material, you also want to be able to work with it and know what to do if something goes wrong or if a few details disappear, and you have to fill in the blanks.

I just try to study in a public place, it's easier than studying at home where your liable to slack off. :p

About your question...you should organize everything. Put WAN protocols in one group, VLANs and STP for switches in another, etc
    Make a text file for each and put everything you know within it.

KG
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680