Business Analysis certifications, anyone?

I'm currently studying the AgilePM certification, and it has a related AgileBA certification, since both roles are integral to DSDM (the framework AgilePM is based on).

And then I recalled another Business Analysis certification I came across: BAIQ. And one thing lead to another.

So a brief list:

AgileBA Certification | APMG-International
Certifications | Business Analysis International Qualifications | BAIQ.ORG
Business analysis | Certifications | BCS Certifications
Certification & Recognition - IIBA | International Institute of Business Analysis
https://www.pmi.org/certifications/types/business-analysis-pba
2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM

Comments

• mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Octal
    I conducted minor research on BA certifications but did not find any job listings in my area requiring any of them. I know I can't speak for other countries but I find that if it is not requested and if someone WANTS to do one, I figure the PMI cert would never hurt.

Love to hear your thoughts
    Thanks for posting
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I did some research as well, the posting were looking for skills and experiences not certificates. Truth be told (at least from my perspective), you would best be served getting experience with UML and business process modeling. That IMO would be your best bet if you want to focus on requirements and that type of BA role. The certifications are a waste from my view.

If you are looking to get into the technical side, HADOOP, MapReduce, even some of the dashboarding tools would be your best bet. Obviously some SQL would be good and even some scripting languages can be VERY benefical if you want to be more than a technical admin.

The only one that is even remotely considered legit is the CBAP, and that is an overkill for most positions unless you are looking to become a process/business architect or some sort of role like that. This would be a contracting gig where you go in and perform a function.

BTW I am a BA.

HTH
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I think something like the AgileBA has specific value if you are going to work in a DSDM model, since it covers the specifics of how the BA role works in that context. It's likely in that case that your workplace would send you on training (or in house training) which is 3-4 days and a couple of exams.

What I have found talking to people who are working as BAs AND are studying BA, is that a formal qualification of some sort is useful for ticking a box, but they also find that they get exposed to a broader range of tools and information, and from what I've learnt thus far about BA is that a big toolkit can be useful. Obviously, that group would be a bit biased since they've already decided that training is worthwhile.

The other case where I think it could be useful is for someone doing a sideways move, from a development or PM or even infrastructure role, since as you move up the ranks you get asked more and more to solve "business" problems rather than "technical" problems, so even a basic knowledge can be useful.

For me personally, I do have some interest in BA since my current work (consulting) leads me down BA type paths fairly regularly even though it's more a systems role. I probably won't jump into any certifications or training in the near term, but I do want to expand my knowledge in the area.

And for what it is worth, I've never seen any BA certifications asked for either. Most listing do ask for 'relevant' degree and experience, though.
    Agreed - That's why I went back to WGU and got my MBA. It really has helped in the business space, technical not at all. In fact on technical interviews they don't mention it. But anything "business" it is brought up with a positive reply. (Just reaffirming your findings with that I have seen).

MIS Masters are good as well, if you are in IT. I work in supply chain and finance so that is a whole different beast.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Agreed - That's why I went back to WGU and got my MBA.

It's interesting that you mention the MBA. Part of the reason I am going down the PM path, and looking at BA, is that I feel like I have a gap to fill before I'd be comfortable with doing an MBA. I have a Master's already, but it was rather light on the business side, just a bit of ITIL and PM.
    I think the PM certs / path makes sense, but the BA certs don't, at least in the US. I might consider an agile certification from PMI or even better yet Scrum Alliance. It's really the only PM certification that interest me which is ironic seeing I don't have it. I'll expense it this year if the funding is there.
  • mzx380mzx380 Member Posts: 453 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with PM cert path. I have been in infrastructure for years but started a job as an IT PM last year. After I finish my MBA, I'm going to dive right in to PMP and then CSM so that way I can register the PDUs.
    Certifications: ITIL, ACA, CCNA, Linux+, VCP-DCV, PMP, PMI-ACP, CSM
    Currently Working On: Microsoft 70-761 (SQL Server)
  • SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    For the European market, I found that the BSC Certificate and Diploma in Business Analysis to be considered valuable and reputable credentials for any individual interested in working as a Business Analyst, whether within the IT sector or not.

The BSC - Business Computer Society, it's the UK awarding body that has designed the qualification. The certification can be taken by self-studying and pass the foundation exam in any Pearson Centre worldwide. The exam format is 40 multiple-choice questions and requires a score of 26/40.

For the ones interested in obtaining the Diploma in Business Analysis instead, there are four modules that the candidate will have to take, and upon the successful completion of those exams, an oral exam must be taken within a 12-month period from the completion of the written tests.

I think that the certificate could be a good start, the official book can be found on Amazon at the following address: https://www.amazon.com/Business-Analysis-Malcolm-Eva/dp/178017277X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1493289873&sr=8-1&keywords=9781780172774

Kind Regards.