Options

Passed SSCP today

techlvr81techlvr81 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I have been lurking on these boards for sometime now. I had been studying for the SSCP for the past couple months, most recently I kicked it into high gear and was studying pretty much whenever I had a free minute. I sat for the exam today and have provisionally passed! I took me about an hour an a half to take the exam, I flagged about ten questions for review and after going through the entire exam I went back and changed some of the questions I had flagged. All in all I think I was very well prepared for this exam, there definitely were some tricky questions mixed in there. It would have been nice to know after having passed what areas I did well on, but a pass is a pass right so I will take it. icon_lol.gif

I absolutely have to say these forums have been a great help to me in using the best resources to study for the exam. When I originally started studying for the exam I had read cover to cover the book the SSCP (ISC)2 Systems Security Certified Practitioner Official Study Guide by George Murphy. I saw a number of people had mentioned how good the AIO book by Darril Gibson was so so I moved on to studying that book, and would say that out of the two books I definitely preferred Gibson's book. I used cccure for the practice exams, along with the end of chapter questions. I also used cybrary's CISSP videos by Kelly Henderhan.

If anyone is currently studying the exam and has questions I would be more than willing to answer, I know this forum sure helped me pass and stay motivated to do so. Now onto CCNA!

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. That's great!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
  • Options
    NavyMooseCCNANavyMooseCCNA Member Posts: 544 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!!

'My dear you are ugly, but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly' Winston Churchil

• Options
    lucky0977lucky0977 Member Posts: 218 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratz!
    Bachelor of Science: Computer Science | Hawaii Pacific University
    CISSP | CISM | CISA | CASP | SSCP | Sec+ | Net+ | A+
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Fantastic! One of us! You used some of the same resources I used.
  • Options
    I definitely did use some of the same resources as you, I read some of your posts where you mentioned those resources. They were very helpful to me in preparing for the test. Thank you!
  • Options
    mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What score did u get on practice exams
  • Options
    techlvr81 wrote: »
    I definitely did use some of the same resources as you, I read some of your posts where you mentioned those resources. They were very helpful to me in preparing for the test. Thank you!

Wonderful! I'm very happy that the info helped.
  • Options
    I was getting scores in the 90's on the practice exams.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Start collecting those CPE's, because you're going to need them.
  • Options
    I absolutely will, I am going to Secure World next month so that should give me a good bulk of credits to start. I just got an email from ISC2 to start the endorsement process so I am going to get that submitted today.
  • Options
    You can get CPEs from watching BrightTalk webinars: https://www.brighttalk.com/

You can also get them from some Cybrary courses: http://www.cybrary.it
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Cool thanks for the info, I will use those sites as well to get CPEs.
  • Options
    A 1 year subscription to Security or Risk magazine is considered 5 CPE's.
  • Options
    Keep it coming! I love all of the great information you all have provided me with.
  • Options
    There are a number of threads on this site concerning CPEs. Just do a search. Also, check ISC(2)'s site for a list of acceptable sources.
  • Options
    I printed the guide from ISC(2)'s site earlier and found it to be very helpful. I also have found a number of different resources to get CPEs.
  • Options
    hishamNAhishamNA Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats

I am preparing the for the exam , I finished " George Murphy book but after I read some recommendation here , so I start reading Darril book , I found out some topic is NOT well covered in George book .
  • Options
    Thanks! Yeah I wasn't a fan of the George Murphy book at all, I think the AIO book by Darril Gibson covers the topics well. And he repeats the concepts throughout the chapter to reinforce the learning.
  • Options
    andrewdmandrewdm Member Posts: 5 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your pass!
  • Options
    impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good, congrats.
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• Options
    chickenlicken09chickenlicken09 Member Posts: 537 ■■■■□□□□□□
    why do you need CPEs?
  • Options
    eddo1 wrote: »
    why do you need CPEs?

All certifications need CPE's to maintain proper standing. If you do not acquire enough CPE's, your cert can't maintain it's good standing.

CPE's are a good thing.
  • Options
    i hear you, does paying the 60 dollars a year not cover CPEs. Sorry its new to me. I got my SSCP in 2015 and have never gotten any CPEs. Just paid the yearly fee, does geting the CPEs mean i wouldnt have to pay?
  • Options
    Unfortunately, you have to pay AND get CPEs.
  • Options
    ah ok i better get my skates on...although i hope to have the cissp soon so can just concentrate on keep up with the cissp..isc total money racket haha!
  • Options
    I attended the OWASP PWAPT this month and that gave me 24 CPE's. A security magazine subscription gave me 5 CPE's. You only need 20 CPE's per year.