Options

Finally passed CISSP (4th attempt)

AndyLien79AndyLien79 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi all,
Long time lurker here and just want to give thanks to everyone and this forum. It's been extremely helpful in assisting me on which materials to study from. The materials that I've used were:

- Shon Harris AIO 6th edition
- Larry Greenblatt youtube videos (when it was free)
- CybraryIT videos by Kelly Handerhan
- CISSP Study Guide 3rd Edition by Eric Conrad
- Sybex CISSP study guide 7th edition
- random youtube videos for a deeper understanding of various subjects within domains
- CCCure quizzer
- Official (ISC)² CISSP Practice Tests
- CISSP Exam Prep 2017 edition (iphone app)

I took it the first time right before they changed to the 8 domains vs 10, then two more times after that with the 8 domain structure
first attempt - 620's
second attempt - 590's (I believe it was because I took too long of a break in between) definitely a confidence killer but I knew I would have to bounce back
third attempt - 650's (this was a dagger since it was my third time failing but atleast it was some progress)
fourth attempt - passed!

I kept studying after the 3rd attempt but went into super focused mode the last month before the fourth attempt.
when I ended the exam, I had the same feeling not knowing if I passed or not so I didn't want to open up the paper until I left the testing center. When I finally did...it read "congratulations! We are pleased to inform you that you have provisionally passed the CISSP examination" icon_cheers.gif

The most helpful resources to me were the Sybex 7th edition, Kelly Handerhan videos and CCCure quizzer test engine.

Now the waiting game begins...
passed: January 25, 2017
endorsement confirmation received: January 26, 2017
confirmation from ISC: still waiting....(hoping it won't take the full 6 weeks)

Again, thanks to God for blessing me with a pass and to you all for providing great suggestions in this forum!

Comments

• Options
    productproduct Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done dude - great persistence, inspiring! Thanks for the write up- very interesting and helpful :)
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Now time for a much needed vacation celebration?? Huge congratulations on your pass! One of these days I hope to sit for this, but I need to increase my work experience in the CISSP domains. I know how hard it is to bounce back after multiple failures, but it feels AWESOME once you finally get through it!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    That's some dedication here! Congrats!

And 600 * 4 wasted!
  • Options
    Santa_Santa_ Member Posts: 131 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the persistence to keep tackling this exam even after 3 attempts.

Just remember, that if you fail again you have the work ethic to put the time in to be successful.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    That is a lot of scratch! Either way congrats on your accomplishment!
  • Options
    Thank you everyone! No celebrating yet until I get my hands on the actual certification :)
  • Options
    vijaytyagi@msn.comvijaytyagi@msn.com Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation , you have proved it -- never ever give up
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! I have a friend that is in a major rock band that I am sure most of you have heard of. He made a comment that everyone in L.A. is a great musician, it is the resiliency that separates the winners from the losers!
  • Options
    chrisonechrisone Member Posts: 2,278 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great work and many congrats! It took me three tries and I just got my official CISSP numbers on Tuesday. Enjoy your hard work!
    Certs: CISSP, EnCE, OSCP, CRTP, eCTHPv2, eCPPT, eCIR, LFCS, CEH, SPLK-1002, SC-200, SC-300, AZ-900, AZ-500, VHL:Advanced+
    2023 Cert Goals: SC-100, eCPTX
  • Options
    TXCISSPTXCISSP Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW! CONGRATS! That's some incredible persistence and dedication! I can't imagine going through this thing 4 times!! 2 was enough for me!
  • Options
    musclegenesismusclegenesis Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is freaking great, I know a friend that did not pass it twice so it is making me so scared to actually take it. Any tips and suggestions? Was CCURE a good bargain and how long did you wait before your 3rd and 4th attempt?
  • Options
    That is freaking great, I know a friend that did not pass it twice so it is making me so scared to actually take it. Any tips and suggestions? Was CCURE a good bargain and how long did you wait before your 3rd and 4th attempt?

My 2nd attempt was on September 13, 2016
    3rd October 25, 2016
    and 4th was on January 25, 2017. I would've taken the 4th sooner but I had to wait 90 days to take it again.
    I would recommend reading the Sybex book 7th edition cover to cover, if possible. It's actually not that bad compared to other books that are out there. I did that atleast twice.
    Watch the Kelly Handerhan videos from cybraryIT. she really puts a lot of things in prospective for you especially the fundamentals of each domain. she even provides you some tips and tricks along the way
    As for CCCUre quizzers, to me it's worth every penny. The reason is because if you get an answer wrong, you will get a thorough explanation of why you got it wrong and even goes as far as giving you links to other resources at times
    leading up to the 4th attempt...I was literally sleeping, eating and breathing CISSP. I had the Kelly Handerhan MP3's on while I was cleaning the house and at the gym while I was working out. Sometimes when I am out and waiting on something..i would open up the CISSP app on my phone and did some practice questions.
    Most important tip of all that helped me pass:
    remember to think like a manager, remember you are a risk advisor and not a person of taking action (ex. pulling the cable, blocking a firewall port)
    these tips came from Kelly's video and they helped me tremendously
    At times during my 4th exam I would find myself deviating from that mentality since I've been in the troubleshooting for most of my previous jobs but you really have to reset and keep reminding yourself...you are there to advise

hope this helps and thanks again to you all :)
  • Options
    sameojsameoj Member Posts: 366 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Got official designation today. Truly blessed and thanks to you all!
  • Options
    anhtran35anhtran35 Member Posts: 466
    Sup Sup Andy...LOL!!!
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats from another long time lurker!
  • Options
    uleghari007@gmail.comuleghari007@gmail.com Member Posts: 63 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    Thank you everyone!
  • Options
    mritorto2mritorto2 Member Posts: 61 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats persistence pays off
  • Options
    mritorto2 wrote: »
    Congrats persistence pays off

Thank you!
  • Options
    СтрелокСтрелок Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations, but it was worth $ 599 x 4 = $ 2,396?
  • Options
    mich12mich12 Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! encouraging.
    Just scored 691 on second attempt today 13/0372017,.. but this gives me courage to continue moving
  • Options
    mich12 wrote: »
    Congrats! encouraging.
    Just scored 691 on second attempt today 13/0372017,.. but this gives me courage to continue moving

Thank you. Keep at it you are very close!
  • Options
    SteveLavoieSteveLavoie Member Posts: 1,133 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If he didnt continue until he succeeded, that money would have been really lost for nothing.