Topic on CCNA exam?

HumperHumper Member Posts: 647
According to the 640-801 blueprint I must be able to 'describe' the spanning tree process. OK! But do I need to know Rapid Spanning Tree? It's included in the Cisco press book, but not mentioned at all in Tom's.
Now working full time!

Comments

• EdTheLadEdTheLad Member Posts: 2,111 ■■■■□□□□□□
    When Cisco create an exam they give a general outline of what should be expected on the exam i.e. the blueprint as you call it.The author of the book is interpreting this general guideline.Can Cisco vary a little from this guideline? Yes!
    Dont be lazy and learn it or you may regret it later.Isnt it better to go into the exam feeling confident rather than hoping that certain topics wont appear.
    Networking, sometimes i love it, mostly i hate it.Its all about the $$$$
  • David_HXDavid_HX Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    1) Understand how the Root Switch/Bridge is selected by Lowest Priority number (first) then by MAC i.d. #

(and how to change that Priority #)

Hint: > SWITCH-1(config)#spanning-tree priority 8192

Note: "8192" is 1/4 of the Switch Max. Priority number 32768 and the number you use should be an even number division of that number used to create the lowest number (and backup #) Switch in the network.

2) Understand how the Spanning-Tree process selects a designated and non-designated port (blocked port) based on the total bandwidth of the Link, then MAC i.d. if more than (1) equal bandwidth link on the segment, then port priority i.d. #

3) Understand what does and does not occur during the [4] stages of the Spanning-Tree election and convergence process within a Switch after cold start power-up and also when a change occurs to an established designated or root port. Realize that full convergence has only taken place in a stabilized Spanning-Tree process when all ports are either in a Forwarding or Blocking state.

4) Given only the output of the command: #show spanning-tree vlan 1
    Be able to determine which Switch in a multi-switch array is the Root Switch.

5) Check out this nice link B-low for some direction in this process........

Pay close attention to the animation's depiction of the Switch MAC i.d. (this Switch) and the Root MAC i.d. (the Root Switch MAC i.d. as this switch see's it)

When those two MAC numbers are equal,, you've found the Root Switch, even of you are not presently looking at the Root Switch.
    Make sense ?? It took me awhile to figure that one out. [Dense icon_rolleyes.gif ]

LINK >>> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/spanning_tree1.swf

(Flash Animation of STP Process)

Hope this helps and dosn't confuse you more.
    Comprehensive understanding of this subject is essential on the exam. (among a few other things)

Enjoi..........

David
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    David_HX wrote:
    LINK >>> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/spanning_tree1.swf

(Flash Animation of STP Process)
    There were some cute animations in the Cisco Network Academy courseware that made stuff easier to understand.... but I knew there had to be some animations on the Cisco web site available to everyone..... Nice! :D Very Nice! :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • David_HXDavid_HX Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Actually, Cisco has quite a few embedded animations buried throughout their tech support pages.

Here's one on VTP:

VTP Flash Tutorial >> http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/vtp_flash/

(watch that rev. #) icon_cool.gif

DvD