Options

CISSP Troubles

Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just danced with the Beast to no avail (566). I am looking for help. Here's my study methods.

Sybex
11th Hour
Sunflower CISSP (pamphlet)
Took a CISSP class via New Horizons.
Created flash cards (Old School way)
Created Tests via Classmarker

I am asking for help because before the test I memorized methodologies and frameworks such as BCP, RMF, SDLC, and Forensics. But during the test I realized that the methodologies I studied were not correct. I was confused because I knew I had methodologies memorized and what I was seeing was not what I was ready for. What is the correct study methods to use? Obviously my methods aren't working.

Comments

• Options
    AndyLien79AndyLien79 Member Posts: 30 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sorry to hear Jaydel.
    I would recommend understanding the concepts vs just memorizing materials.
    watch the video series by Kelly Handerhan on cybraryit.com. She does a great job at explaining the concepts of all 8 domains Her third video I believe she will explain what type of mindset you will have to be in during the exam. Watch the videos over and over until you get it.

Did you do the practice questions in the Sybex book? They have tons on there including the 250 question bank ones

Lastly, try signing up for a month of CCCUre quizzer....you can take quizzes on there and it will give you a detailed explanation of each one you get wrong.

The reason why it's good to do all these questions is so it trains your mind to not be burned out during the exam. it's a long process.

Keep pushing and trying. Don't wait too long or you will forget the material. you will succeed in your next try. It took me several. best of luck!
  • Options
    Jaydel.LeachJaydel.Leach Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks AndyLien79. I tried to see it for both a memorization of methodologies and a point of view as a security analyst. This kind of made me feel motivated to learn this large amount of material. I will check out the videos as it may force the concepts in this old brain of mines. I also need to slow down on the Sybex training as I see this is the official study guide. I will try again in a few months.
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    join the CISSP study group which was created by Umaraj...

Hope you can get some help there too including this precious forum
  • Options
    Mohey72Mohey72 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Same here (650) - took it 23rd Jan ; and my bad luck was mainly with Domain 8.
    Regarding CCCURE its not valid any more; its good for understanding the concepts only; I was a member for 4 months and used is a lot.
    I believe Sybex book should be the main reference; and other resources to help understanding the concepts.
    (Example: I got like 4 questions about "Polyinstantiation" which is explained properly in Sybex).
    Will book the exam again mid March; will be grateful for any ideas/advices.

Thanks,
  • Options
    SirkassadSirkassad Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Mohey72 wrote: »
    Hi,

Same here (650) - took it 23rd Jan ; and my bad luck was mainly with Domain 8.
    Regarding CCCURE its not valid any more; its good for understanding the concepts only; I was a member for 4 months and used is a lot.
    I believe Sybex book should be the main reference; and other resources to help understanding the concepts.
    (Example: I got like 4 questions about "Polyinstantiation" which is explained properly in Sybex).
    Will book the exam again mid March; will be grateful for any ideas/advices.

Thanks,

I have the e-copy of the 7th edition and I am having trouble finding the polyinstantiation explanations. Can you direct me to the chapter/page where it is covered?
  • Options
    RaranskyRaransky Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It is on page 868, Chapter 20 - Software Development Security of Sybex 7th edition.
  • Options
    SirkassadSirkassad Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Raransky wrote: »
    It is on page 868, Chapter 20 - Software Development Security of Sybex 7th edition.

So I was wondering why doing a Kindle keyword search for 'polyinstantiation' didn't reveal anything. Apprently (and this is really really stupid) if text is italicized in the e-book, the Kindle for PC program won't find it. So when I did a search for polyinstantiation, I had 0 hits. When I eventually found it I read it and it is pretty straightforward; I wonder if polyinstantiation could be classified (no pun intended) as 'security through obscurity'.
    At any rate, thanks.

It leaves me wondering how a test could ask more than 1 or 2 questions on it...
  • Options
    Mohey72Mohey72 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,

Got scenario based questions where "polyinstantiation" was part of the questions, and I have Kindle version where i can search for this word.

Rg,