Options

Question for CCIE's - Is best time to study CCIE immediately after completing the NP?

ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
I'm playing with the idea of moving directly into CCIE R/S materials directly after finishing my CCNP, as I am in a good groove of studying and labbing (enjoying it very much), and I am in a good life situation that affords me as much study time around work / sleep hours as I can stand.

I was considering other certs for work, or maybe the CCDA / CCDP as a foundation as well to CCIE R/S, but the fact that I rarely work with any protocols at my work (almost all customers at my MSP has firewalls) I am going to lose the CCNP R/S knowledge FAST.

Can any of you CCIE's who have been there and done that lend me your advice on how to proceed?

I understand you should be getting certified in what you work with, but as a personal goal I have wanted my CCIE # in R/S since I was in school for Networking 10 years ago. Now I have the time, money, and momentum to keep moving forward past the CCNP into CCIE studies if it is possible without real world working experience with the protocols.

Any thoughts, CCIE or not, very much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Really? Noone? Is there some kind of initiation to CCIE club on TE that will get members to reply to my threads in this section? It seems like if your not a current CCIE candidate or a CCIE, you don't get responses here.

Out of everyone studying or achieved the CCIE, noone has comments on taking it directly after finishing CCNP studies with little work experience with topics on the exam? No pointers? Nothing?
  • Options
    keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Narbik's "soup to nuts" is a solid base after CCNP if going to CCIE. Its to clear up the gaps. Check the file i posted as gift in the IE sections its a good directional guide ( i think as it worked for me)
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • Options
    I was thinking of signing up for Narbik's Bootcamp as I've heard you get as many free sit-in's as you'd like of his training sessions (with room permitted and you have to pay for additional rack rentals I believe), and see if I can get my work to pay for another year of of full-access INE material.

Thank you for the heads up on the Narbik's materials^ I will check it out and much appreciate it!
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would do CCNP SP and RS before starting with the CCIE. I had CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, and CCDP before I started studying for my CCIE.

I did INE and IPExpert (before IPExpert went belly up).

What will really matter is doing the practice labs, as many as you can get... and just getting hands on doing stupid router tricks and learning the CLI inside and out.