Options

Anyone else notice an increase in 1099 jobs lately?

CardboardCardboard Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been doing my usual thing of constantly applying at all the local temp agencies that do IT work for jobs, mostly desktop support.

And for the most part, getting no results. Some agencies call and apply me to jobs, one Robert Half office loves to try and lowball me on the hourly rate for any job we discuss, but nearly nothing works out, even for short term stuff.

But since last summer, I've been doing freelance IT jobs on first one and now three different freelance sites. Since the beginning of the year, it has been doing better. I'm getting more jobs, although it is still far from an ideal employment situation. Far too unstable. Who would have ever thought that going to a steady, just plain hired, 40 hour a week job would seem so unobtainable?

I've spoken to some other local IT people, and they've had similar results. More 1099 stuff, less temp agency contracts, and even less actual "you're hired" jobs.

Anyone else seen much of this?

Who would have ever thought, at my experience level (senior desktop support, entry level NOC and data center, etc) I'd have these types of employment problems.....

I've got to figure out how much of my 1099 paychecks I should be setting aside to cover my state and federal taxes at tax time. I do some cash on the side work, but these 1099's get reported.

Comments

• Options
    TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The issue I have with 1099 seems to be the try before you buy mentality. I hear quite frequently that it is contract to hire. I don't like leaving the comforts of full time work for it. I say keep working on the experience and cert and tell them no contract work. I've had a couple but after talking you do find some good recruiters who can help you find what you're looking for.

I think that is the the key. The recruiter. They can make a huge difference.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Cardboard wrote: »
    Who would have ever thought that going to a steady, just plain hired, 40 hour a week job would seem so unobtainable?

Those jobs are out there... but let's face it: the system is rigged.

The only way to stand out is via:
    college degrees,
    certifications,
    experience.
    (in no particular order)

That's just how it is.
    If you want to play their game... you have to play their rules.
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    To be honest I get so many folks calling me for this crap I am about sick of it. The pay is comparable on 1099 to what I make in a full-time perm role. Why would I leave for some contract bull. I have told so many recruiters to not call me unless it is a full-time perm role and they all say they rarely if ever get them. Companies need to get off the drugs if they want real security people to come to work for them. What is even funnier is when I used to hear companies say you have had a new job about once a year and I was interviewing with them for a contract role. How can anyone hold down a perm role if they are contracting all the time? I know for myself I am not leaving my perm role. I left a perm for a perm for advancement opportunities, but now I have those opportunities good luck getting me to jump.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The reason why they're so many 1099, is because of the source of the funding. The company itself is not funding it.
  • Options
    TechGromitTechGromit Member Posts: 2,156 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cardboard wrote: »
    I've spoken to some other local IT people, and they've had similar results. More 1099 stuff, less temp agency contracts, and even less actual "you're hired" jobs.

I would be interested to know what level IT jobs your referring to? Where all the people you spoken to also desktop support positions with no certifications, or were they higher level positions. Unfortunately until you reach a certain point in your career where you have experience in networking, servers, programming or security and a couple of certifications thrown in for flavor, low level IT support jobs are a dime a dozen. With no to little job security. Certifications are a great way to make yourself stand out from the crowd and compared to college most of them are dirt cheap. It just takes a few books, lots of studying and a few hundred dollars to take the exam.
    Still searching for the corner in a round room.