Options

mspress book

amyamandaallenamyamandaallen Member Posts: 316
Hi,

Can people who have taken this test give me some feedback about the oficial MSPRESS book for the 290 exam.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735614377/ref=sr_11_1/102-1762285-4034533?%5Fencoding=UTF8

eg - how through you thought it was? which bits were light? was there lots of padding?

Im looking to go and buy this book to go along with various study notes from this site and either cbtnuggets or learnkey cbt's.

Real info would be very welcome with regards to this book.

Many thanks
Remember I.T. means In Theory ( it should works )

Comments

• Options
    woodwormwoodworm Member Posts: 153
    I'm using it at the moment and I think it's one of the better books, but the chapter on IIS is non-existant ...

I think the Syngress book has been the most in depth book I've read on this subject.

CBTNuggets are far better than the Learnkey, they are still a little light in places, and there are a few small errors, but out of the two it's a much better product.
  • Options
    DapperDanDapperDan Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's cheaper at nerdbooks.com
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Bookpool is also good if they have it (usually do for mspress).

Its the book we've been given at techskills to train with, and so far so good!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    good book, i scored 884, test in book is harder than exam.

MS book for 291 so far (6th chapter) has been awesome.

good luck
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    arnoutarnout Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If I had to buy 1 book to prepare for this exam, I would by the Sybex 70-290 second edition study guide. (isbn 0-7821-4448-9). It comes with a cd with 2 exams, and it covers IIS and Terminal Server much better than MS book. ( I did used both books, but I got the most out of Sybex book).

cheers !
    be yourself, believe in me !
  • Options
    jesse7jesse7 Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I may make a new post but yeh I saw on amazon there is a 2006 version of the same books just released does anyone know what the difference is?
  • Options
    RZetlinRZetlin Inactive Imported Users Posts: 155
    I have the MS Press MCSE 70-290 book.

I didn't like material in the book. It's too vague and it makes the assumption you know how to navigate around Windows 2003.

Plus the book is missing material on IIS which the exam covers.