Options

What is more in demand Network Engineer or Information Security Analyst?

Okay so I been comparing the two on indeed and here's what I got

Network Engineer jobs: 134662 jobs on indeed for whole USA (3539 local jobs in Los Angeles)

Information Security Analyst jobs: 62607 jobs in the whole USA (1351 local jobs in Los Angeles).

My question is bls.gov stats

18% job increase for Information Security Analyst

8% job increase for Network Architects/Engineers

What I'm confused is that I see more Network Engineer Jobs on Indeed.com than Information Security Anaylst. but the Bls.gov says otherwise.

I'm trying to plan out what path to go for (Networking vs Security).

Let me know what you think, thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    job titles mean different responsibilities depending on who's writing the job description and title. in my area a security analyst is more in-demand but is more entry-level than a network engineer. network engineer will typically make more in my area ($100k+) while an analyst will fall just a tad short of that.

both are excellent career paths. i'm partial to infosec myself, but see lots of success for people entering both worlds. in this case you really have two excellent options and you're very lucky in that you can pick one that you're more interested in. lots of people dont have that option
  • Options
    hurricane1091hurricane1091 Member Posts: 919 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not a lot of network engineer jobs where I am at. More InfoSec stuff.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    You really need to have an understanding of what either job really does for duties, and by my standard Network Engineer comes out ahead every time, however Security has it's niche in the IT market it seems more of a consulting self-motivated type job roles.

Though Network Engineers aren't just people who passed their Cisco exams, they are expected to walk into a multi-vendor work place, and fix anything from an ESXi host crash to configuring whole new networks to suit a new camera system / phone system / etc that the customer installed on the regular data vlan without informing anyone at their MSP.

So given that network engineers generally knows a network from the users applications to the servers the reside on to the network equipment allowing the communications, I'd say they will get paid more and be in more demand at regular companies than a Security Engineer, as they kind of expect the Network Engineer to implement best practice in regards to network security.

I kind of do a blend of both, I don't really call myself an engineer outside of my job title as I think that is a well earned personal title, but I think both paths intersect anyways so you would probably end up studying both to some degree.

/ rant
  • Options
    asianredneckasianredneck Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Everything is in demand. Seems like companies are now asking for you to be jack of all trades. One company called me up for Network Engineering position and they expected me to know Windows Server 2012 and VMware.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm trying to plan out what path to go for (Networking vs Security).

Let me know what you think, thank you in advance.

Another way to go:
    Figure out where your interests are... and move towards that direction.

(choosing a profession based on a stat-sheet sounds.... shortsighted)
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Live in a semi large city in the midwest and there were ~29 security analyst jobs and ~57 network engineer positions (By title) in the metro area.
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    NetworkNewb

Whoa Nelly!!

Happy Y2k :]
    Y2K.jpg 27.9K
  • Options
    beadsbeads Member Posts: 1,531 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to have the solid networking skills before really entering the soft underbelly of security anyway. I would pursue the rockbed skills of networking and see where your career takes you rather than trying to pigeon hole yourself into something your not entirely sure.

- b/eads
  • Options
    faintingheartfaintingheart Member Posts: 256
    Thanks for all of your input. I am more interested in Networking. Although I did thought Security Analyst would have a better future (because of the high rate of increase in jobs). I am going to study networking as this path seems more interesting to me. Can a person holding a CCNA R/S be able to make 100k? Or do I need to be a CCNP R/S? I want to be making over 100k some day. What certification do I need? Thank you in advance.
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You don't need any certs to make 100k. You need experience, market demand, and skills.

Depends on the area and everything but there's no set certs that you need to have to crack that barrier. I'm sure there are people with just a CCNA making that much. But usually they'll advance and take on new skills, certs, etc. along the way also.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Okay don't laugh at me as I have no experience yet. I never work in I.T. before. I'm still at the (education) training stages. I never got my foot in door yet. I guess I gotta obtain CCENT and CCNA first? Then get an entry level job. Another question: Is it hectic at your work place? or is it mellow. I get nervous sometimes around stressful area. Hence my name "fainting heart".
  • Options
    soccarplayer29soccarplayer29 Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just keep that in mind when you're looking for jobs. The point of interviews it to make sure it's a good fit for you and vice versa. You're interviewing the company/position to determine if it'd be something you want to do.

But yes, most of my positions have been hectic in the sense of tight deadlines, client challenges, priorities changing on the fly, etc.

Follow your passion and desires...get the education, knowledge, certs, on the job experience, etc. The money will likely follow.
    Certs: CISSP, CISA, PMP
  • Options
    Thank you so much for your advice. :)