Options

Need Assistance and Opinions to Get Back Into IT

Sparko11117Sparko11117 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am currently in my early 40's. I am employed but looking to get back into the IT industry, specifically a traditional network admin role. Currently, I am an instrumentation and electronic technician in the oil
& gas industry. I have done this for 7 years. For personal reasons I want to get back into IT. To make this easy, I'm going to give a little synopsis of my IT history:

1992-1999: U.S. Navy Information Systems and Crytology- Done everything from installing and troubleshooting LAN/WAN to install of SATCOM, multiplexers, running cable, blah blah blah

1999-2000: NOC (Access)- Troubleshot from CPE to Telco LEC. Configured CSU/DSU's, Nortel DPN-100 switches and all other equipment in between.

2000-2001: NOC (Backbone)- Monitored and troubleshot T-1s,T-3s,Nortel Passport switch, & Frame Relay network

2001-2002: Promoted to Tier II Tech Support- Verified and modified switch configurations and network topology

2002-2003: Contract System Administrator

2003-2010: LAW ENFORCEMENT

2010-2017: Instrumentation and Electronics

As you can see I do have experience. I've pretty much tried to keep up with technology. I obtained by CCNA in 2001 and let it expire in 2004. I have since recertified on CCNA R/S version 3.0 and SEC+. Here are my questions:

QUESTION #1
Is my prior experience relevant and should I consider myself to have 1-3 years experience or am I now a ROOKIE all over again due to gap?

QUESTION #2
I really do want to start on my CCNP but not if I need to be looking for entry level work that's not a problem. TBH, I am totally down with entry level work, but I'm not getting any calls for NOC jobs or anything. I just don't want to sit idle while waiting. I can either go with CCNP (which is what I desire) or go CCNA-SEC route.

Alright let them answers fly!!!!

Tks

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Question 1: I view this in two lights. The first being if I was a manager, I would say ~1 year of experience tops. However, if you were applying for a position that requires 3 years of experience, I would most certainly apply for it. IMO you are basically a rookie again, that MASSIVE gap will prevent you from getting intermediate level roles.

Questions 2: CCNP
  • Options
    Quick question. You don't think it'll look stupid going for entry level with that CCNP? Or maybe look for intermediate also after obtaining CCNP?
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Since the CCNP is 3 test I am assuming it would take you ~1 year. I would hope during that year you would be working in IT in some capacity in networking. At that point it would be a good thing. In theory you could bounce 1 - 3 years in, into an admin role then onto an engineer role.
  • Options
    ande0255ande0255 Banned Posts: 1,178
    Always be looking for an entry level foot in the door, and expanding your skill set, though CCNA Sec didn't do a whole lot for me so I'd advise CCNP R/S if you have your CCNA R/S.

You will want to adapt what you learn as jobs change, I had to go for voice when a VOIP job landed in my lap with no experience or certs for it, but learning the R/S path is always a good base to continue expanding until you need that other specialized training for your job.

If you truly study and understand the material and have past experience, I would leave it on the Resume, as it will probably get you more opportunities than it will get you denied from. If you had no prior IT experience, I would say leave it off, and don't ever use brain **** to try to fast track yourself in the IT world as it will eventually come back to bite you in the ass.

That being said, good luck on your path, and always always always keep expanding your skillset (no matter if its wireshark, Accidental Administrator book series for ASA Firewalls, Network Warrior, CCNP, etc).
  • Options
    Got it! Hey I really appreciate y'alls input!!! Tks
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Like an analogy where your have an unusual item for sale. You're not sure what price tag to put on it so you over analyze into faults you assume a buyer will be critical of, then default to a low-low price tag. Don't sell yourself short!

I count way more than 1-3 years experience. Since your CCNA and Sec+ are current, I'd market myself as an experienced professional and let those hiring you decide if you're too rookie or not. Guarantee you won't get anything other than a rookie job if you only apply for those kinds.

Of course if you get zero interview offers for months to come, maybe come down on the price.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    Tks yoba! I do feel like that 1st paragraph you wrote! Lol
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,054 ■■■■■■■■□□
    QUESTION #1
    Is my prior experience relevant and should I consider myself to have 1-3 years experience or am I now a ROOKIE all over again due to gap?

QUESTION #2
    I really do want to start on my CCNP but not if I need to be looking for entry level work that's not a problem. TBH, I am totally down with entry level work, but I'm not getting any calls for NOC jobs or anything. I just don't want to sit idle while waiting. I can either go with CCNP (which is what I desire) or go CCNA-SEC route.

Dude....
    you are being waaay too critical of yourself.
    In my current state (mich), to land an entry-level Noc gig:
    all you need is: CCNA (actual knowledge), Passion to learn, and a little luck.
    No EXP required.

You sir, have Experience.
    You should be able to talk circles around the initial phone screener.

Your only problem: No one's calling :]

So...
    1st) what state do you reside in currently?

2) If you are willing to grab an entry-level noc gig.... then Create a dummy-version of your resume.
    (seriously)

Cut your resume down to 2-pages (tops).
    Only include your last entry as experience:
    2010-2017: Instrumentation and Electronics
    (list as much detail as you like)

Make no reference to any prior jobs.
    If you went to school, do Not include the graduation dates.
    do Not reference that previous ccna from 2001.

but DO references your new CCNA & Sec+.
    (hell... put the logos at the TOP of your resume)

Basically, you want to "look like" an applicant in his late 20's (on paper).

Once you land the interview, and they ask you what you did before 2010... then you can WOW them with your real EXP (airforce, etc).
    Work the job for 2-3 years. Get your CCNP. Then throw-away your "dummy" resume. Make a Real resume :]

The IT game has changed in the last 15 years.
    Certs matter more than they used to.
    Study for your ccnp while you have the time.... it gets harder when you are working a 40.
  • Options
    Volfkhat....I agree...I do believe I am being way too hard on myself. Tks for your input and it really makes sense.
  • Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Volfkhat....I agree...I do believe I am being way too hard on myself. Tks for your input and it really makes sense.

First, thank you for your service!

Sure, you might have to 'start' at an entry level position, however, given your drive, work experience and LIFE experience, I wouldn't expect you to stay there for long.

Last year, I hired a 43 year old who was just starting in IT. He previously was a truck driver, and then owned a landscaping business. He QUICKLY rose out of my team. His technical chops developed at light speed, but his ability to interact and navigate the business was what set him apart, and he developed those skills on his own long before IT was a 'thing' for him.

You have experience, and while it might be outdated, THIS hiring manager would be champing at the bit to hire someone like you for my company. Although, it would probably be a entry NOC or helpdesk.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    SweenMachine... you are welcome and would do it all over again if my body was able but after 15 years of service it's kinda worn out! My son is now carrying on the legacy! Anyways, that's just the words I needed to hear and appreciate your words of encouragement!
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    if you aren't signed up for Fed VTE, you should... all kinds of free training for Veterans :)

https://fedvte.usalearning.gov
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke