Options

Q2 2017 CISSP - Strictly Studies related..

UmaRajUmaRaj Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Folks who showed interests in my other thread and taking exam from Mar-July...

Let's use this forum for folks taking in Q2 2017. Let's share our journey and motivate each other..

I am planning to take in July and haven't yet committed myself to new reading schedule, probably would be easier if a day has more than 24 hours.. :):)

Q1 takers, you are all welcome to share your days as well.

I need to finish Domain 4 now - 2/23 and 2/24-2/25 practice exams.. Committing here online. so feel free to ask my progress.. Small short term goal,- I think It is doable..

You introduce yourself here and commit to short term goal, I will make you accountable asking you progress constantly...

I will try to consolidate ours then n there, so we don't have to scroll pages to see each other progress..

Take care.
Regards,
Uma

Comments

• Options
    yasserparvez@hotmail.comyasserparvez@hotmail.com Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Uma,

I am planning to appear in April, i have gone through all domains 4 months ago. But i guess i am keep forgetting everything.

When are you planning to appear on the exam.

Regards
    Yasser
  • Options
    r_aelk_wisnur_aelk_wisnu Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Uma,
    I failed on first attempt on january, 9, very deeply sad. Feel that no strenght at all a couple week afterward.
    I've prepared it for about 6 months, focused on 3 months. I spare much time on practice an exam, not to much reading on the book. Maybe this is the wrong way I took. Now, I plan to study again with read the book start from "CBK official guide". I plan to re take the exam maybe 5/6 months to go.

Rgs,
    Wisnu
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am taking my exam on Feb 23.

I am studying or have studied the following.

September to October -

CBT nuggets Security+ SY0-401 CBT with Keith Barker
    Sybex Security+ SY0-401 study guide 6th edition

Took the SY0-401 test in October with an 867

December to February -

Pearson LiveLessons CISSP CBT with Sari Greene
    Sybex ISC2 CISSP Official study guide 7th edition
    Sybex ISC2 CISSP Offical Practice Tests
    Syngress CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition
    Syngress CISSP 11th Hour 3rd Edition
    Syngress CISSP practice Tests
  • Options
    malindakmalindak Member Posts: 58 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tunerX wrote: »
    I am taking my exam on Feb 23.

I am studying or have studied the following.

September to October -

CBT nuggets Security+ SY0-401 CBT with Keith Barker
    Sybex Security+ SY0-401 study guide 6th edition

Took the SY0-401 test in October with an 867

December to February -

Pearson LiveLessons CISSP CBT with Sari Greene
    Sybex ISC2 CISSP Official study guide 7th edition
    Sybex ISC2 CISSP Offical Practice Tests
    Syngress CISSP Study Guide 3rd edition
    Syngress CISSP 11th Hour 3rd Edition
    Syngress CISSP practice Tests

how do you rate " Sybex ISC2 CISSP Offical Practice Tests " as a practice guide?

I also just started going through this
  • Options
    tunerXtunerX Member Posts: 447 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the Sybex practice tests are some of the better ones I have taken.

I actually read the whole Official study guide then took those end of chapter and 4x 250 question tests online.

Then I started reading the Syngress 3rd edition book. After I finished reading a domain in the Syngress book I would take the 100 question corresponding ISC2 test. You find out that the syngress book is a little light for domains 5 and 6. Many of the practice questions from ISC2 were not covered at all in the syngress domain 5 and 6 chapters and they are weighted at 13 and 11 percent. After finding this out I have been digging deeper into the ISC2 study guide to get more coverage for the domains that were light in the syngress book.

https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

The big benefit was that all of the practice exams (Sybex and Syngress) are available online with a testing engine.

I was thinking about trying out the boson exsim-max exams. There really aren't any good reviews about it though. I don't want to pay 100 bucks only to find out they are the exact same questions that I have already taken.
  • Options
    tunerX wrote: »
    I think the Sybex practice tests are some of the better ones I have taken.

I actually read the whole Official study guide then took those end of chapter and 4x 250 question tests online.

Then I started reading the Syngress 3rd edition book. After I finished reading a domain in the Syngress book I would take the 100 question corresponding ISC2 test. You find out that the syngress book is a little light for domains 5 and 6. Many of the practice questions from ISC2 were not covered at all in the syngress domain 5 and 6 chapters and they are weighted at 13 and 11 percent. After finding this out I have been digging deeper into the ISC2 study guide to get more coverage for the domains that were light in the syngress book.

https://www.isc2.org/cissp-domains/default.aspx

The big benefit was that all of the practice exams (Sybex and Syngress) are available online with a testing engine.

I was thinking about trying out the boson exsim-max exams. There really aren't any good reviews about it though. I don't want to pay 100 bucks only to find out they are the exact same questions that I have already taken.

Thanks for the detailed reply..

one more question :P

how do you rate Sybex pratice test vs cccure?
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck everyone. I doubt I'll be done with the CISSP till later this year. Maybe Q3.
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have mine scheduled for March 7th finally..using Conrad, Cybrary videos, CCCure, and a CISSP app (android) that has been surprisingly good for practice questions every now and then.

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jamthat wrote: »
    I have mine scheduled for March 7th finally..using Conrad, Cybrary videos, CCCure, and a CISSP app (android) that has been surprisingly good for practice questions every now and then.

Good luck everyone!

Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Please can you let us know which android app you are using (quoted in you post above).

Many thanks,
  • Options
    jamthat wrote: »

Good luck everyone!

Hey Good luck man.. am next you.. thought of scheduling towards end of march...icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    d3s3rtf0x wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks for your comments. Please can you let us know which android app you are using (quoted in you post above).

Many thanks,

It's this one (link to Google Play Store)
  • Options
    d3s3rtf0xd3s3rtf0x Member Posts: 29 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that.
  • Options
    PJQJRPJQJR Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Uma,

I am planning to take the test May timeframe, I have taken the test already and know what I need to work on. I have done most of my studies on my own but know that I need to engage w/ others on a similar path. I also need accountability, I am hoping you and others can help provide some assistance...

p.s. Thank you for starting this thread

PJQJR
  • Options
    byrd9697byrd9697 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took my test and missed it by three questions. Im retaking it in a month. I know what i need to study for. Thanks for starting the thread.
    things I did before the test

(ISC)2 Official CBK - Hardest book I have everread, so much fluff..
    CISSP Study Guide, 2E by Eric Conrad
    CISSP Study Guide 11th Hour by Eric Conrad

Skillset questions 100% of all domains
    made 600+ flashcards

I will be focusing on
    CCCure Practice Exam
    (ISC)2 Official Study Guide 7th Edition - Sybex
    Quizlet (ISC)2 Official Flash Cards (These arefree and are the exact same flash cards they gave us at the class)

Any advice would be appreciated
    Thanks
  • Options
    PJQJRPJQJR Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

Haven't checked this site for a week or two, Anybody still have their momentum? Im trying to keep the motivation, but life keeps bothering me, lol... Steady Long guys, lets keep the communication up.

Currently reading The study guide by conrad and reviewing some items from Sybex
  • Options
    I'm still scheduled for next Tuesday. Not much momentum and I've been slacking but I'm still going to give it a shot. Could crash and burn but at least I'll know what to do for a 2nd attempt. If necessary
  • Options
    Jayjay8541Jayjay8541 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Passed CISSP last week. Used CCCure, did approx 1700 questions. Use study mode and read the details of every question. Understand all the concepts that it discusses for each question. Also used Eric Conrad Study Guide 3rd edition and the 11th hour. 11th hour was great for reviewing everything before the test, 200 pages, easy read. Also attended a 9 day boot camp which helped with force feeding. Not required, but my study habits suck and it was a great way to get immersed.

FYI, if you're planning on only using question banks found online, you'll certainly fail. This test requires understanding and know enough about all concepts in the 8 domains. 80% of the questions seemed like best answers. In other words, 4 right answers, but choose the best out of the four for the scenario. Sucks! Not one question that I saw, I immediately knew the answer. It's tough, make sure you read, and then read some more. Totally doable though, if I passed, you'll be able to pass. Good luck, message me if you have any questions.
  • Options
    amicmanzoamicmanzo Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just purchased my exam for May 30th!
    Let the games begin
  • Options
    newmovenewmove Member Posts: 108
    Jayjay8541 wrote: »
    Passed CISSP last week. Used CCCure, did approx 1700 questions. Use study mode and read the details of every question. Understand all the concepts that it discusses for each question. Also used Eric Conrad Study Guide 3rd edition and the 11th hour. 11th hour was great for reviewing everything before the test, 200 pages, easy read. Also attended a 9 day boot camp which helped with force feeding. Not required, but my study habits suck and it was a great way to get immersed.

FYI, if you're planning on only using question banks found online, you'll certainly fail. This test requires understanding and know enough about all concepts in the 8 domains. 80% of the questions seemed like best answers. In other words, 4 right answers, but choose the best out of the four for the scenario. Sucks! Not one question that I saw, I immediately knew the answer. It's tough, make sure you read, and then read some more. Totally doable though, if I passed, you'll be able to pass. Good luck, message me if you have any questions.

I passed last week too. The questions were crazily tough that involves thinking for each and every of the 250 questions. I'm a rubbish test taker and couldn't stick to a studying strategy. I started listening to Shon Harris audio on the motorway enroute work... Sleepfest! I switched to Kelly Cybrary till I could recite it after her. 11th hour actually helped a lot...and please get the sunflower pdf and study it before you go for your test you will thank me later. Good luck guys!