Options

Moving / copying compressed files

raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
Are the rules for move/copy file or folder on NTFS commpression the same for folder (.zip) compression?

Comments

• Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    No, ZIP compression (called Compressed Folders in Windows) is completely different, does not rely on the underlying file system, hence none of the rules for NTFS compression apply.
  • Options
    skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think the rule is if you move it within the same volume, it will retain it's original state. Any other time it inherits the state of the new location.

If I'm wrong on that please correct me, as I hate giving someone an incorrect memory peg!
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    skully93 wrote:
    I think the rule is if you move it within the same volume, it will retain it's original state. Any other time it inherits the state of the new location.

If I'm wrong on that please correct me, as I hate giving someone an incorrect memory peg!
    The question is not what the rules are, but whether it's the same between NTFS compression and Compressed Folders (ZIP files). These are two different types of compression, and the rules you mention apply to NTFS file and folder compression, but not to Compressed Folders.

icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/technotes/xp/administration.shtml#compression
  • Options
    raiedraied Member Posts: 93 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks Johan - you are awsome!