Options

Just received a job offer

DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
For those who are in the know, I recently made myself available for a new position, had 2 interviews and landed the position.

The base pay is ~15% more, this new role has no bonus my current one does, but it still comes out around 15% increase.

More vaca days and the ability to stop requirements gathering and focus more on developing end to end reporting solutions and enterprise dashboard. OLAP Cubes, Tabular Models, high velocity database systems like Mongo etc.

Really like the place I work at but the cut backs and the unstable environment I just feel anxious all the time, not to mention all the work due to recent down sizing.

I still need to go through a drug test don't use so I am good and a back ground check, I passed my last 10 corporate ones so this shouldn't be any different. Still waiting for the written offer before I give my two weeks though.

Comments

• Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Best of luck! Can't wait to hear the good news.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Do us all a favor and sneak a pic of your new bosses' face when you tell them. The one that told you all that stuff about "document all the things" and "maybe 2 or 3 years," and blah blah blah... I hope it's a great big "I just shat myself" look on their face. Hahaha!!! Great going!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    PocketLumberjackPocketLumberjack Member Posts: 162 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! I'm glad the job search went quick for you!
    Learn some thing new every day, but don’t forget to review things you know.
  • Options
    He pulled that 2 - 3 year routine on my a day or so again..... Work hard network and I can see you moving up in 2 - 3 years. Just make sure you network, I'll get you exposed to the other teams in a year or so.....
  • Options
    LaSeenoLaSeeno Member Posts: 64 ■■■□□□□□□□
    He pulled that 2 - 3 year routine on my a day or so again..... Work hard network and I can see you moving up in 2 - 3 years. Just make sure you network, I'll get you exposed to the other teams in a year or so.....

2-3 years is a long time unless you just landed an entry-level position.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    LaSeeno wrote: »
    2-3 years is a long time unless you just landed an entry-level position.

What could possibly go wrong in 2-3 years?
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome news. Great that it happened so quickly too. When do you expect to get the offer in writing?

Edit: So are you going to try and time it until after getting your bonus? Hate to mention it, but given the instability, is there a chance of no bonus this year?
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats. I am looking but can't even find anything within an hour commute so it is pretty difficult right now. Love my current job so not the end of the world but I am envious of you guys getting these offers (in a good way). Hopefully one day soon I will be able to make a post like this. Your hard work paid off!
  • Options
    I'll have to consider the bonus to be honest. If it wasn't for that it would be a slam dunk. I'll see what I can do, but the new place seems to REALLY like my skill sets and hopes for me to get in there and start to build out a EDW with reporting and analytics. Good times.
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on the offer! You are in the best seat imaginable.
    My only concerns would be now low man on the list and if they are at will employment. Sorry to bring up at will but make sure you know what you're getting into.
  • Options
    Low man on the list sucks no doubt, but I think I should be fine. Just trying to stay positive.

One thing I did do was undersell myself, because of this very thing. I didn't say I sucked or anything like that, but I did say these things which makes me feel better. :

Asked me about my SQL, said I was a solid intermediate (I told them I didn't want to give them the impression I was advanced or some guru)

Asked me about database administration, I told them I was fairly inexperienced in that area.

Asked me about OLAP cubes I said yes I have created and deployed several, but it wasn't my primary job.

As you can see I painted the most accurate picture as possible. Besides most companies don't fire incompetent employees much less good ones. To your point though if cutbacks happen then well you know..... ;)

Sounds like the primary focus will be on visualization and dashboarding.
  • Options
    leboratoricalleboratorical Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! As someone who just got a new role last month (not least, I think because they saw I was seriously about getting knowledge in my general field), I know the mixture of elation and concern that comes with it... Also, I am not great at selling myself either. I'd rather be realistic up front so we both know where we stand.