Options

Path suggestions for a beginner

avicanavican Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am currently 6months into my bachelor in IT, but I have a lot of freetime so I figured I better use that time to specialize in the field that I want. The dream is to work primarily with network security, and to boost my chances to enter that field, I was thinking I'd get relevant certifications. However, I have no clue where to start. I heard that Cisco certifications are highly respected in the field, so I started researching the CCENT. But then I came across this forum, and noticed almost everybody has the CompTIA A+ cert. I'm not expecting it to be easy, but it seems that it would be the best place for me to start?

Can anybody shed some light on this? And please add some suggestions as to how I would go about preparing for the exam. Keep in mind that I only have experience with front-end development and fundamentals of Java/MySQL, so I would probably have to learn it from scratch.

Comments

• Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Skip the A+ and continue your ccent and then CCNA, work on Security + at the same time.
  • Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    A+ will only really land you a helpdesk job, if you want a jump start and you are comfortable with A+ material already, I would suggest CCNA / Security+ to save time.

If you aren't familiar with the A+ material, I would start with A+ as it teaches you the foundation of IT.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems
  • Options
    dubois11dubois11 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I passsed the securirity + so I am trying to figure out what job to land now
  • Options
    avicanavican Registered Users Posts: 2 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you!
    I've been watching some of Professor Messer's videos for the A+, and there is a lot that I'm not really comfortable with. So I guess A+ will be my entry certification. Ordered the ExamCram, figured I'd use that and Messer's videos.

I noticed in another thread that you recommended those exact sources. Did you find Messer's course notes very helpful? Any experience with CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight?
  • Options
    cdxcdx Member Posts: 186
    I think the Professor Messer A+ Videos + Examcram Book / Practice Tests are sufficient. Just focus on one test at a time, in example, the A+ is split into two tests. So focus and study only for the first test first, then once you pass that test, study the second test material.

CBT Nuggets I hear is good, but I have never used them. I have never used Pluralsight so I cannot answer that.
    Bachelor of Science - Information Technology - Security
    Associate of Science - Computer Information Systems