Options

My Path to Virtualization Engineer/Data Storage Engineer

LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey all,

Been a while since I posted anything remotely interesting. Im sick of Systems Administration. To be perfectly blunt. Im burned out from all the printers and software and other crap that goes into it.

Ive been seriously looking at finishing PMP (Project Management Professional), I finished my MCSA:2012, and coasted around the idea of MCSA: 2016, but I am just ending right back to where I started. Systems Administrating.

So now Im on the fence about being a IT Project Manager, as fun as that would be, I have to be honest and realize I love technology, I know myswlf that much. As much money as I could make with ITPM, I think realistically, Id like to explore a data center route, its the big league of System Administration, but new challenges, not printer isnt working tickets :P

I have my 74-409, I loved working with Hyper-V and would advocate its going to overtake VMWare in the next few years, but VMWare is still top heavy in the VM space. So, I decided to pursue two certifications this year to reachy goal.

VMWare 6.0 VCP-6DCV & NetApp or EMC certification for storage.

Im attending an online class for VMWare, and should be done in April, site for the exam in April, and hopefully move onto a job at a Data Center in May.

I'll still grab my PMP, but only after VMWare, I feel its a major leg up regardless, and after being a 'Project engineer' whatever that means, I know I do want a career in the ITPM space, or atleast doing cloud stuff, whether data center or AWS (Which Im also looking at).

Im making this thread to just keep myself accountable.

Heres to the next year!
Kindly doing the needful

Comments

• Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    vmware + storage is an excellent synergy. There was actually a training provider near me offering VCP + EMC certification prep in one course. And I studied Storage+ while studying VCP.

I can appreciate that desire to get out of the printer driver grind of straight up Windows admin. The novelty does wear off. Data centre sounds good to me, and storage and virtualisation are natural fits there.

The IT PM space is very varied from place to place. Some of it is not very technical at all, and is mostly about organising people and resources. Some of it is technical and you might be basically architecting a solution - sometimes called a technical coordinator. Some places it is more in the middle, where you need to be able to communicate with technical and business roles, helping to articulate requirements and planning, and there could be a path to Business Analysis roles.

I think maybe within the structure and technicality of data centres, there probably is a greater demand for IT PM that do have good technical understanding across the breadth of the data centre.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    Thanks for the insight OctalDump, I didnt even think to look at Storage+, though I assume its ROI is low, as no one really looks for it. Im thinking of NetApp since this job I am gunning for uses that as their backbone, so I think it would give me an edge.

I looked at MS:2012 Cloud and Infrastructure, but again, probably more printer work :P

I definitely can see the IT PM space being fun. I do love me some processes and writing documentation and keeping shareholders happy :)

I appreciate the info for sure. I was looking at WGU, I completed some coursework there, Im thinking maybe its worthwhile to reopen my account as well and finish off the IT BA and move onto their Masters for Business Management. All doable in a years time. (Im working in optimal conditions where I can dedicate the time to getting that completed).
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Yeah, Storage+ has been discontinued. It was needing a fairly major revision, and I think they decided it wasn't worth it. But it does cover a lot of the basics from a neutral standpoint.

NetApp or EMC are probably the best options if you want a real vendor certification. The MS Cloud and Infrastructure certifications seem like an easy way to get more paper, but as you say, it sounds like you want to break out of the MS bubble.

From the technical perspective, probably the only other thing in the mix might be some networking certs, but I suspect you have those already.

If you like the business side, then I think you are on the right path. Good luck!
  • Options
    I have Net+, I think Cisco will complement my skillset, but then Ill be a paper tiger at that point :P
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you in a smaller shop or something? I haven't been spending time working on printers in years aside from when the 2nd tier people screw something up on a print server or when I have to account for them in an overall platform migration.

I agree with the general sentiment though... I don't think you want to be married to Microsoft "system administration" if you want to stay in technology longer term. It is time to "see other people" lol. VMware + Storage is a nice complement to a solid OS background and either would be a good logical step.

At the same time, leverage your existing Microsoft skills. Have you worked with Hyper-V any other than in your exam studies? How are you with PowerShell? I would think anyone strong in both should be able to stay relevant for a while, and both translate back into VMware vSphere administration quite nicely.

Finally, you are already MCSA 2012. It's just one exam to upgrade to 2016, and one exam per year to get and keep MCSE C&I. Not quite as daunting as the original journey to get to MCSA. If I were in the same boat as you, I think I would spend some time learning the future of the Windows platform (Windows 2016) AFTER landing that VMware job, because realistically, you will probably still be doing some OS administration in your first job that has VMware responsibilities, so it will probably still be relevant to you day to day.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,053 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Personally,
    i view VMware as the TITANIC (after it was sliced by the iceberg).

AWS is absolutely dominating; Azure is projecting Growth as well; VMware is being squeezed. No where to go... but DOWN.
    It won't happened overnight... but it's still going to happen.
    (Crazy Talk, i know... but remember R.I.M.)

I earned my VCP5, and then i took that 74-409 path afterwards (like you).
    After comparing both products.... i decided im Not going to be renewing the vcp.
    MS is basically "giving away" the stuff VMware requires an "Enterprise" license for.
    (VMware's 2-year recertification requirement is also atrocious)

With that being said... Do what makes you happy.
    If the MS-grind is killing you... then Definitely find something else :]
    (in my case, i decided to ditch sysadmin, and jump into networking)

side note:
    I think AWS will also be consolidating/eliminating quite a few SysAdmin positions; SO it's probably good to start considering other options :]

I like your suggestion of the EMC curriculum; i think i need to look into that myself!

But one thing i don't understand (and hopefully someone can answer) is the updated MS certification system.
    Does the MCSA actually expire?
    For instance:
    i earned my MCSA Server 2012 (last summer).
    But, what if i go 2-3 years without taking any of their annual "electives"?
    Will i still be able to come back (a few years from now) and take the MCSA Sever 2016 upgrade exam?

(If So... then Why would anyone feel obligated to take these electives each year?)
  • Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    Littlebit, your signature brings back memories of working with certain people overseas who always used that in almost every email.

I would agree that AWS is sadly increasingly dominating the market share. VCP knowledge might be good but mostly to round you up.
  • Options
    volfkhat wrote: »
    But one thing i don't understand (and hopefully someone can answer) is the updated MS certification system.
    Does the MCSA actually expire?
    For instance:
    i earned my MCSA Server 2012 (last summer).
    But, what if i go 2-3 years without taking any of their annual "electives"?
    Will i still be able to come back (a few years from now) and take the MCSA Sever 2016 upgrade exam?

(If So... then Why would anyone feel obligated to take these electives each year?)

The MCSA doesn't expire (yet), the MCSE's normally have a recertification requirement of every 3 years. For the MCSE Cloud Platform and Infrastructure, there isn't a recertification requirement but "each calendar year, you have the opportunity to earn the certification and to receive an additional entry on your transcript".

The new Cloud track is very easy to pile on certs with. Basically it's two exams for MCSA and one more for MCSE. Or if you have MCSA Server 2012/2016 already, it's one more exam to get MCSE. You can also combine it with MCSD Azure (there's 100% overlap).

You will be able to upgrade your MCSA 2012 to 2016 as long as there is an upgrade exam. The upgrade exam for 2008 to 2012 is still available, so I imagine the 2016 upgrade exam will be available for a long time.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    I'm gonna have to agree with volfkhat

It is what it is, this is where the world is going so invest your time wisely. Invest heavily in Amazon AWS followed by Microsoft Azure
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Thank you all for your insights.

I was pretty excited about AWS. I do have experience with Hyper V, but nothing enterprise, mostly used for consolidation and BDR, nothing with Azure.

I definitely think VMWare is losing an edge, but its a requirement to get me out my current spot, and i want out of my current spot very badly. haha. Im not ungreatful, but feel my skillset could be used elsewhere. I.e. i feel like im wasting my time. Money is great, but job satisfaction isnt there.

I am a novice with powershell and havent really used its awsome abilities yet for sripting, though the environment I work in uses it a lot, I never have. I come from the MSP world where Labtech and kaseya live, so automation was always a right click away.

I think my best bet is to shoot for VMWare/Net/EMC and then shoot for either PMP/AWS, or PMP than AWS. The problem for me is labbing with AWS, my internet connection where Im at isnt the best.

Thaks everyone!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    I'm gonna have to agree with volfkhat

It is what it is, this is where the world is going so invest your time wisely. Invest heavily in Amazon AWS followed by Microsoft Azure

I hear that! I definitely want to invest my time wisely, but AWS and Azure will be a year or two away from me. Industry I work in (DoD) is all VMWare heavy, so immediately Ill get my feet wet and then once I have a job ill start my journey into Dev Ops or Sys Admin for AWS. I like MS, but I just cant do the whole grind of MS anymore.

Im registering for my NetApp stuff now... EMC training is rediculous... Pricewise. Dell really wants those profit margins.

Theres also no material on NetApp, its all offered through their online university. Bleh.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Interesting how AWS decided to partner with a sinking ship.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • Options
    VMWare is still a major player, so long as the US Govt keeps paying for it.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    So spent well over a day finding NetApp training and discovered its $1000-$2000. Welp, I was SOL. But I googled a bit more and came to a Udemy Course offered for $200. Bought the course and will be going through that. Ill report back if it was worth it. I start today for my VMWare ICM 6.0 class, need that in order to sit for the VMWare cert. Woo!
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Quick Update:

The NetApp storage training was good, still not done. VMWare is vmware, kind of a drag going through the course at WayneCC, I wouldnt recommend it, but its still not bad, but I dont like recording videos...

Ill admit I got kinda bored and started diving into AWS. Taking a course on that and I am excited about technology once again.

Anyone here AWS certified? I do still intend to finish my NetApp and VMWare course, maybe, just to get out of Sys Admin.
    Kindly doing the needful