Options

Hard work pays off.

Mike RMike R Member Posts: 148 ■■■□□□□□□□
I've been a member here for about 2 years now. I use to manage 2 businesses that my father owned, I took over after his unexpected death. They were agriculture based a huge amount of work to keep going but I kept them profitable. Well a year ago we decided that we wanted to move on and so we sold those two businesses.

Through shear luck I met two network engineers while trying to diagnose why my internet connection was terrible. Self taught myself how a network works,DSLAMs and routers and in the end finally resolved my problems with the ISP connection. I looked into a lot of different professions to go into but I went with IT because I could see the longevity in it and it's something I could eventually hopefully support my family long term so my mother could retire.

A friend of the family where we moved has a small MSP shop and he took me on back in May of last year. I didn't know a huge amount, I had an A+ and was working on the CCENT (still am). It was/is a struggle to go into a totally new occupation and many times I wondered if I made the right choice. One thing I've always been good at though is customer service since I grew up handling customers.

Well a couple months ago my boss said I should look elsewhere because things looked bleak so I did. Meanwhile I headed up 3 projects and completed them on time and according to him I did great work. This morning he called me and said he couldn't see running his company without me and gave me a 65% raise (I was making 24k no benefits). He told me what he loved was that he didn't have to babysit me on projects and that the clients loved working with me.

I really didn't know if I would make it in IT. I'm not posting this to boast or anything. This forum has been a HUGE inspiration to me, and without this community I have no doubt that I wouldn't be in the situation I am now. I've tried to just be a sponge and learn and absorb as much as I can from you guys/gals. Iris has been one of the biggest inspirations since I started down this path and there's a multitude of others here also.

So thanks so much guys/gals. I hope to one day inspire others as you have me :)

Comments

• Options
    Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome story way to go!! Keep it upicon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    MSPs are a grind.

I wish you the best of luck. It takes certain kind of crazy to run one.
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    coffeeluvrcoffeeluvr Member Posts: 734 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for sharing! Your determination paid off!
    "Something feels funny, I must be thinking too hard. - Pooh"
  • Options
    greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Appreciated you Sharing your story man. Hard work truly does pay off!!!!1
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    LittleBIT wrote: »
    MSPs are a grind.

I wish you the best of luck. It takes certain kind of crazy to run one.

Despise them, but if you can manage to hang working for one for 1 - 3 years it really says a lot about the person.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations on your raise. Good customer service is so important to excel in just about any job. Keep up the great work!
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well done, sir! Well done.
  • Options
    dmoore44dmoore44 Member Posts: 646
    It's stories like this that remind me how awesome a field IT is. Keep up the good work, and good luck!
    Graduated Carnegie Mellon University MSIT: Information Security & Assurance Currently Reading Books on TensorFlow
  • Options
    byron66byron66 Member Posts: 169 ■■■□□□□□□□
    When you work your butt of people notice. icon_thumright.gif
    CCNA   A+   N+  Sec+
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats and good stuff!!!!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021