Options

Retention Bonuses?

Comments

• Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks guys, good group.

2 on Friday and still unsure about the second. The one on Friday is a final, so that's good.

Excellent news! Knock'em dead! :)
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Wanted to follow up (had the final interview)

The position is senior business intelligent analyst.

Started off high level talked about the company and the challenges they face. Sounds great, I mentioned their stock price and how I have been following them for a while now.

Rolled into some questions about what I do on a day to day basis. Explained reporting, database work (sql) design, BI etc

He said sounds like you have some strong SQL skills, you won't mind if I ask you some SQL questions, I actually got nervous on the first one. I stepped through (my hand writing is horrid) and I got it. He asked me why I used left outer if the count was greater than 50 (no nulls) I explained my reason but agreed. Then he asked me a few dynamic SQL questions in regards to the same table schema. NAILED IT.

BI architect hit me hard on data warehouses, different models and particulars around dimensions, nailed it pretty good. I did crack a joke when I struggled saying I am use to coding around bad design, they laughed and understood. It's one of those developer things that if you have developed for a while you'll understand.

Asked a series of questions after that. It was a good feel, they held their cards close to their vest.

It can go either way, but from a technical side I easily can handle this role. It's a centralized environment which has a lot of jobs so there are A LOT of BI opportunities in house.

Wish me luck
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wanted to follow up (had the final interview)

The position is senior business intelligent analyst.

Started off high level talked about the company and the challenges they face. Sounds great, I mentioned their stock price and how I have been following them for a while now.

Rolled into some questions about what I do on a day to day basis. Explained reporting, database work (sql) design, BI etc

He said sounds like you have some strong SQL skills, you won't mind if I ask you some SQL questions, I actually got nervous on the first one. I stepped through (my hand writing is horrid) and I got it. He asked me why I used left outer if the count was greater than 50 (no nulls) I explained my reason but agreed. Then he asked me a few dynamic SQL questions in regards to the same table schema. NAILED IT.

BI architect hit me hard on data warehouses, different models and particulars around dimensions, nailed it pretty good. I did crack a joke when I struggled saying I am use to coding around bad design, they laughed and understood. It's one of those developer things that if you have developed for a while you'll understand.

Asked a series of questions after that. It was a good feel, they held their cards close to their vest.

It can go either way, but from a technical side I easily can handle this role. It's a centralized environment which has a lot of jobs so there are A LOT of BI opportunities in house.

Wish me luck

Sound like you nailed it bruh. Keep us in the loop.
  • Options
    powerfoolpowerfool Member Posts: 1,666 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Awesome to hear. I am hopeful that you get a strong bounceback from the short-term setback your position has put you in. Definitely keep us posted. Best wishes.
    2024 Renew: [ ] AZ-204 [ ] AZ-305 [ ] AZ-400 [ ] AZ-500 [ ] Vault Assoc.
    2024 New: [X] AWS SAP [ ] CKA [ ] Terraform Auth/Ops Pro
  • Options
    volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,055 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It was a bad decision........

Just a terrible decision

My boss at the time, one of the reasons for staying 3 weeks later bounced for a MAJOR tech player on Seattle and I got stuck with 4 peoples job. It's been horrible, the counter offer was 100% the wrong move. While the pay is nice the heart palpitations and depression and anxiety aren't all that fun.

Mark enough sucker who should of dumped the counter offer. With that said I have an interview tomorrow, first of two. We shall see.

Eating crow, not doubt about it.

Should of listened, soooooo bad just sooooooo soooooo bad.

Bwahahahaha!!

lol
    okay.... but honestly, what's to be sad about?

You gambled.... and you lost.
    But how do you know that the other job... was truly any better??

Look at it this way:
    You still got your phat bonus, right?
    so that's at least a 2 months cushion.

You could have Quit today, and probably still come out ahead.

It's practically May; the weather is great; and your future is bright.
    Stop worrying about your $$$; Take a few weeks for yourself, and smell the roses.

As for your soon-to-be ex-employer, well....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPpzHVbmWVw
  • Options
    @V

Good point, TBH it's made it easier for salary negotiations moving forward since I have a higher pay rate.

And to your point about the other job, the more I think about it the more I realize it was only going to grow me marginally. This new position pays and more and gives me a lot of exposure to brand new tools and skills in the BI space.
  • Options

:]

honestly,
    the most amazing part of your story is how your Manager looked you right in the face, and lied through his teeth with the "things are looking up", "great opportunities here", "future is bright" mumbo jumbo.

It's shameful How people will say anything to convince you Not to leave...... but they're the first ones out the door (as soon as an opportunity presents itself).

Always look out for Numero Uno!
  • Options
    Just received the call. They want to extend me the offer.

Submitted my salary requirements (finalized them) and she said it was in the range. She is going to get that formally approved and then move onto the background screening and drug test. Both should be JUST fine.

Thanks for all the support, will update when I get additional news.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Great news!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Food for thought. They pay you more **** the laid off workers work on you. Burn you out before the bonus and then let you go. Seen it happen to a few. Not saying I wouldn't be tempted also, but beware it may not be as good as it seems. Or just before handing out bonuses they **** a bunch more folks to save because of the higher salary.
  • Options
    Jeremy, yeah this post has evolved into I screwed up and I am trying to recover thread LOL.

I secured the position per drug test, background check and financial approval. (The pay is in the range they have allocated) so I am good there I think.
  • Options
    ErtazErtaz Member Posts: 934 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Jeremy, yeah this post has evolved into I screwed up and I am trying to recover thread LOL.

I secured the position per drug test, background check and financial approval. (The pay is in the range they have allocated) so I am good there I think.

Many congrats! Does it change your commute any?
  • Options
    higherhohigherho Member Posts: 882
    Congrats! If you ever have multiple offers. Try asking for money and a vacation package. What I mean is this. When I went from one contractor to another, I asked for one week at Disney world valuing at 5,000 dollars. I also did this when they wanted me to stay because I was a key employee. Of course I was in a situation as a key employee one gave me the trip which was awesome and did not count against my vacation time :) All depends who you work for (it was a small business for me).
  • Options
    Ertaz wrote: »
    Many congrats! Does it change your commute any?

Oh yeah

Went from ~25 minutes one way to 8 minutes one way.
  • Options
    Master YodaMaster Yoda Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just received the call. They want to extend me the offer.

Submitted my salary requirements (finalized them) and she said it was in the range. She is going to get that formally approved and then move onto the background screening and drug test. Both should be JUST fine.

Thanks for all the support, will update when I get additional news.

You killed it!! Good job, Great news, & congrats!
  • Options
    Thanks a lot! You all are very supportive. While family and friends offer a lot of support, the kind this community is just a tick different. We've been there and know how this industry can behave.

I am really looking forward to moving into a PURE BI role and a senior at that. This is a centralized BI division that reports under finance and I'll be part of the sales team. I was out on their website and they have a lot of data architect and BI/ETL engineer roles. So there are some possibilities.

Thanks again
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations. Well earned!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    All is tracking good.

Just spoke to my rep, they said forms will be coming in tonight. Pay was confirmed, verbally accepted officially over the phone.

Forms will be filled out tonight, I'll be performing my pee test tomorrow before work.

Things are moving quickly, I am good with that.
  • Options
    Background check and pee test submitted. Waiting now.....
  • Options
    It's official

everything cleared, good news.
  • Options
    p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congratulations!!! Hope you enjoy the new job. :D
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • Options
    Awwww YEAH!

Time to Hang Out with your Wang out!!!
    :]
  • Options
    kalimusclekalimuscle Member Posts: 100
    let us know how it goes
    live, learn, grow, fail, rebuild and repeat until your heartbeat stops !
  • Options
    kalimuscle wrote: »
    let us know how it goes

Absolutely.

It won't be as technical but the pay is better and now I'll be able to focus on the analysis piece instead of creating the environments.
  • Options
    yoba222yoba222 Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Did you put your notice in yet? Eager to hear your commentary on how that goes over where you are now.
    A+, Network+, CCNA, LFCS,
    Security+, eJPT, CySA+, PenTest+,
    Cisco CyberOps, GCIH, VHL,
    In progress: OSCP
  • Options
    yoba222 wrote: »
    Did you put your notice in yet? Eager to hear your commentary on how that goes over where you are now.

Not happy at all, very difficult to finish projects. I am getting hit with, "I am going to try to be nice here" or "Clearly patience isn't your strong suit". One manager took me to the side and said your time was awful and that good things are coming and you just lost out. Several people who used to be kind to me no longer greet me. One lady came over and was only concerned who was going to take my current position, no congrats or anything. Very strange.

My new direct boss has been actually pretty good, in fact under the circumstances great. (I am soooooo thankful for that Praise the Lord).

The team is contractors and they are very happy that I am moving on (In a good way).

At this point I am focused on my 11 days off and then the new position.

Thanks for checking in.
  • Options
    I am getting hit with, "I am going to try to be nice here" or "Clearly patience isn't your strong suit". One manager took me to the side and said your time was awful and that good things are coming and you just lost out. Several people who used to be kind to me no longer greet me. One lady came over and was only concerned who was going to take my current position, no congrats or anything. Very strange.

WTF-BBQ!!
    Some of those managers really need to pull their head out their @ss and REALLY see what's going on.
    smh

in a way, I feel bad for that lady.
    To be stuck at a job, where they've been throwing bodies overboard, and all the extra work gets dumped onto you... (very stressful)

And to see people leaving, but you can't; doomed to go down with the ship.

Sad thing.
  • Options
    jcundiffjcundiff Member Posts: 486 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Not happy at all, very difficult to finish projects. I am getting hit with, "I am going to try to be nice here" or "Clearly patience isn't your strong suit". One manager took me to the side and said your time was awful and that good things are coming and you just lost out. Several people who used to be kind to me no longer greet me. One lady came over and was only concerned who was going to take my current position, no congrats or anything. Very strange.

My new direct boss has been actually pretty good, in fact under the circumstances great. (I am soooooo thankful for that Praise the Lord).

They team is contractors and they are very happy that I am moving on (In a good way).

At this point I am focused on my 11 days off and then the new position.

Thanks for checking in.

Congrats brother! sounds like your health, especially mental health will greatly improve just from getting out of a very hostile environment. talk about a lack of leadership in your former company. I would have laughed in that "manager"s face

Good for you, and great luck on the new gig :D
    "Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Doesn't Work Hard" - Tim Notke
  • Options
    shimasenseishimasensei Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thank you for sharing your experience.
    Current: BSc IT + CISSP, CCNP:RS, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:RS, CCENT, Sec+, P+, A+, L+/LPIC-1, CSSS, VCA6-DCV, ITILv3:F, MCSA:Win10
    Future Plans: MSc + PMP, CCIE/NPx, GIAC...