Options

Packet Tracer: Ping from computer to server

micanomicano Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have to send a ping from a computer that is connected to a switch to a router to another router and to a server
computer>switch 1>router A>router B >serverA

I can ping up to router B, but after that, all the packets are dropped. What's wrong?
Preview attachment Topology.jpgTopology.jpg88 KB

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    micano wrote: »
    I have to send a ping from a computer that is connected to a switch to a router to another router and to a server
    computer>switch 1>router A>router B >serverA

I can ping up to router B, but after that, all the packets are dropped. What's wrong?
    Preview attachment Topology.jpgTopology.jpg88 KB

You don't need to 'link' a .jpg file; use the 'insert image' button ;)

Can you 'ping' Server A from Router B?

Also, can you 'ping' Router A/B from Server A?
    No longer an active member
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Please save and upload the packet tracer file to somewhere like Free File Hosting - Online Storage; Upload Mp3, Videos, Music. Backup Files
  • Options
    AvgITGeekAvgITGeek Member Posts: 342 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It sounds like there is something up with the route back from RouterB to Router A.
  • Options
    I can't ping from Router B to Server A and I can't ping from Server A to any of the routers.
  • Options
    I can't ping from Router B to Server A and I can't ping from Server A to any of the routers.

There's ya problem... Check your Routing Protocol and LAN setups. Also, it looks as if you've connected Server A directly to Router B. Have you used the correct cable?
  • Options
    I used a copper straight through. And what am I looking for when i check the routing protocol and LAN set up?
  • Options
    DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Use Gdrive to attach the packet tracer file. We need the show commands on the router and the IP setup on the server.
  • Options
    I used a copper straight through. And what am I looking for when i check the routing protocol and LAN set up?

First off, you need a crossover cable. Try that and see if it solves your problem. That fact that you've got the two Routers to 'talk' to each other suggests that you've nailed the Routing Protocol side of things.

Let us know how you get on.
  • Options
    Thanks! It worked! But what do I do if it's a switch connected to a server? They won't ping to each other and I've tried connecting them with a crossover and straight-through.
  • Options
    Thanks! It worked! But what do I do if it's a switch connected to a server? They won't ping to each other and I've tried connecting them with a crossover and straight-through.

Good! And, you're welcome.

You need to learn the difference between DTE and DCE equipment. When you connect DCE to DCE or DTE to DTE, you use a Crossover Cable. DTE to DCE connections are made with a straight-through cable.

A general rule is that DCE devices provide the clock signal (internal clocking) and the DTE (Data Terminal Equipment) device synchronies on the provided clock (external clocking).

Switches are DCE. Routers, PCs (i.e Servers) are DTE.

What you've learned here is to trouble shoot in a logical way, starting at Layer 1. If the L1 seems to be good (that is, you're using the correct cables and the cables are not broken), move on to Layer 2 and Layer 3. The problems could be any number of things, including, but not restricted to, IP Addresses not configured correctly, Routing Protocols not configured correctly, VLANS not configured correctly, Interfaces not configured correctly...

'Ping' (Packet Internet Groper) tests that you have network connectivity at Layers 1, 2 and 3, and so have a basic IP Connection between the Ping Host and the device to which the ICMP was sent. If 'Ping' doesn't work, then you have to find out the reason why.