Options

certification that really helps troubleshooting windows?

Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was wondering if there was a certification I could study that would help me get really good at troubleshooting windows? Is this something a certification can do or just comes with job experience? Currently I work as a laptop technician troubleshooting mainly hardware issues.

I got the A+ and the MCTS they helped troubleshooting somewhat, but from my previous experience working at the computer job before the one I have now the certs just barely covered the basics of troubleshooting windows. Would the MCSA Windows 10 or MCTIP really help with troubleshooting windows? Is this something that just comes with work experience that no certification I study for can really help with? How about removing malware/viruses? I can remove maleware/viruses but at a basic level, I am decent at removing viruses and malware but I want to get better at it. At a previous IT job was at my boss showed me how to look in the windows registry for signs of possible virus infection and showed me some tricks that the certifications didn't teach me.

Any certifications out there that could study that would really improve skills troubleshooting windows and removing malware/viruses. The security+ helped somewhat that I studied for and passed, but didn't get me to that level that I really want to be at. Any suggestions?
... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula

Comments

• Options
    SweenMachineSweenMachine Member Posts: 300 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Moon Child wrote: »
    I was wondering if there was a certification I could study that would help me get really good at troubleshooting windows? Is this something a certification can do or just comes with job experience? Currently I work as a laptop technician troubleshooting mainly hardware issues.

I got the A+ and the MCTS they helped troubleshooting somewhat, but from my previous experience working at the computer job before the one I have now the certs just barely covered the basics of troubleshooting windows. Would the MCSA Windows 10 or MCTIP really help with troubleshooting windows? Is this something that just comes with work experience that no certification I study for can really help with? How about removing malware/viruses? I can remove maleware/viruses but at a basic level, I am decent at removing viruses and malware but I want to get better at it. At a previous IT job was at my boss showed me how to look in the windows registry for signs of possible virus infection and showed me some tricks that the certifications didn't teach me.

Any certifications out there that could study that would really improve skills troubleshooting windows and removing malware/viruses. The security+ helped somewhat that I studied for and passed, but didn't get me to that level that I really want to be at. Any suggestions?

Judging by your certification list, I would venture to say that at this stage the experience is probably the only equalizer. Personally, I thought the 685 (windows 7 Enterprise Desktop Support) was the singular best test I have taken for troubleshooting Windows, but it looks like you already got the 680 and if you feel you are still weak on Windows, it is probably just an experience issue now.

-scott
  • Options
    docricedocrice Member Posts: 1,706 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I recommend skimming through some Windows forensics books or anything that touches upon using tools like Process Explorer, PowerShell, etc.. I haven't read any Microsoft Press Windows training books in a while, but none of them ever got beyond the "this is feature X and how to configure it and scenarios which it could be used in" train of thought.

A book like Windows Internals might serve you well, even though much of it may be more than what most sysadmins would be comfortable with: https://www.amazon.com/Windows-Internals-Part-Developer-Reference/dp/0735648735

Also become comfortable with the command line. Commands like netstat, route, ping, netsh, etc. would serve you well in the long run. The amount of detail underneath the hood will take years to absorb, but starting early is the key.
    Hopefully-useful stuff I've written: http://kimiushida.com/bitsandpieces/articles/
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That really comes with experience.

Best bet is to use and get familiar with SysInternal tools. Or read how malware and trojans/worms work so you know where to find them and how to engage in the removal.

Or if youre like 99% of us, Nuke and pave :P (Reimage Windows OS)
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    Moon ChildMoon Child Member Posts: 191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok thanks for the advice. I think I will look at the MCTIP material to see if that helps me with my troubleshooting skills. I will maybe buy some books like Windows Internals and Windows Forensics. Also as others said I just need more work experience to get better at it. I can remove most viruses, malware, and can fix most problems friends have with Windows if I have enough time to do it. My speed and efficiency doing these tasks could be better though, I guess having more work experience and doing this over and over again would improve my speed and efficiency. Working as a laptop tech last couple months and just working on laptops repetitively over and over again has really improved my speed and efficiency taking apart/ putting together fixing minor problems with the laptops. So I imagine if I was troubleshooting windows over and over again everyday my speed and efficiency would improve.
    ... the world seems full of good men--even if there are monsters in it. - Bram Stoker, Dracula