Options

I finally got my first IT job

avxavx Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
After 2 1/2 Months of looking and going on about 6 interviews( and being denied because of no experience icon_sad.gif ) I finally landed a job, which I start monday

It's a 4 month contract PC technician position for the City of baltimore. Where I'll be upgrading/setting up networks/troubleshooting PCs/performing Installs at every SCHOOL in the city. I'm on a team of 5...... Man I am so happy! I hope this will lend to bigger things. because I was surely getting frustrated with with not being able to land even an entry-level Position. Hopefully after the 4 months is up I'll have my MCP and Linux+. So I won't be sitting idle. and it's paying $12/hr. Which I think is great since i was expecting less.

For the people who still haven't gotten that FIRST CHANCE. Don't give up. I really think my Combo of A+ & network+ helped.

Comments

• Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey dude.....congratulations!!!! :D

Way to be persistent.
  • Options
    matts5074matts5074 Member Posts: 148
    Congrats! Being persistant pays off, even though I don't think 2 1/2 months is long at all. :)

A+ and Network+ can definatly be helpful even though they are entry level. People who do not know about them ask how I got them and I'm always proud to tell them self study, it shows discipline!
  • Options
    matts5074 wrote:
    Congrats! Being persistant pays off, even though I don't think 2 1/2 months is long at all. :)

A+ and Network+ can definitely be helpful even though they are entry level. People who do not know about them ask how I got them and I'm always proud to tell them self study, it shows discipline!

O, 2 1/2 months is a long time when you have a family to support..lol

Also I was suppose to interview for a warehouse position today (which I figured I get), But I had to take the chance and try for an IT position again. Even thought I was always getting turned down. I just prayed, cause If I didn't get the IT position I would of been out of 2 jobs..icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cheers mate, good on ya
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    congrats!
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    OlajuwonOlajuwon Inactive Imported Users Posts: 356
    Good stuff. make the best of it.
    "And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years"
  • Options
    NPA24NPA24 Member Posts: 588 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Patience is key!
  • Options
    12thlevelwarrior12thlevelwarrior Member Posts: 302
    congrats man, good luck with everything, stay focused and stay hungry.
    Every man dies, not every man really lives.
  • Options
    chuchuchu wrote:
    congrats man, good luck with everything, stay focused and stay hungry.

Yeah man, the timing is crazy. I was just getting ready to settle for a warehouse job and try again later after I got my MCP & Linux+. but right out the blue, the day before my last interview with the warehouse job. I get a call about a IT desktop support position, and they need someone immediately. So I took a risk and it paid off :)
  • Options
    wanosdwanosd Inactive Imported Users Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    avx, do you have a degree in CS/IT/IS? Or do you just have those two certs?
  • Options
    Go BucksGo Bucks Member Posts: 152
    Congrats! If nothing else you'll have some experience to go with the certs.
    "Me fail English? That's unpossible."
  • Options
    wanosd wrote:
    avx, do you have a degree in CS/IT/IS? Or do you just have those two certs?

Currently just these 2 certs. I'm still in school. but it's more of a technical school that won't lead to a Degree. I plan on getting a degree later.
  • Options
    JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    LMAO

I think i saw this job but didn't apply because i was still finishing up my A+ (i have and AA too). I just started my job search, I live in baltimore...

P.S. If anyone quits let me know lol, I'll send in my resume =D Its good to see someone from the same area on these fourms, good luck with the job.
  • Options
    Jimehboo wrote:
    LMAO

I think i saw this job but didn't apply because i was still finishing up my A+ (i have and AA too). I just started my job search, I live in baltimore...

P.S. If anyone quits let me know lol, I'll send in my resume =D Its good to see someone from the same area on these fourms, good luck with the job.

Yeah man, it's hard here.....alot of the Tech jobs are in DC and VA..
  • Options
    AlienAlien Member Posts: 398
    Congrats
    Hard times on planet earth.