CCNP - 1 year experience

sipsamuraisipsamurai Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm out of work, if I got my ccnp would it be hard to find a job. As in are people reluctant to hire people with a low amount of experience but high level cert?

Comments

• sipsamuraisipsamurai Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • shochanshochan Member Posts: 1,004 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would think so, but then again if you are good at interviewing you might get the job without the high level cert. But then you would have to be able to perform at your job because just passing a test doesn't really validate that you know how to be an expert at networking. It's best to work your way up and gain some entry/mid level certs. When you get the fundamentals down to where you could answer most questions or resolve most tickets without the help from others then you probably know you are ready for more challenges.

Cheers & HI5!
    CompTIA A+, Network+, i-Net+, MCP 70-210, CNA v5, Server+, Security+, Cloud+, CySA+, ISC² CC, ISC² SSCP
  • mbarrettmbarrett Member Posts: 397 ■■■□□□□□□□
    sipsamurai wrote: »
    NOC tier 1

I agree, the cert might show some level of knowledge that would separate you from the crowd, and might let you get your foot in the door someplace. Without the experience you probably won't be in the running for jobs where you can set the world on fire - you will have to prove yourself first.
  • BerkshireHerdBerkshireHerd Member Posts: 185
    I would probably promote myself as a CCNA with whichever part of CCNP was the easiest to knockout. I'm guess that would be switch.

This way it shows you are a solid CCNA person with ambitions of continuing your education.
    Identity & Access Manager // B.A - Marshall University 2005
  • brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Gaining the knowledge will always help. Will you be applying for jobs while you study?
  • sipsamuraisipsamurai Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Will you be applying for jobs while you study?

yeah I will be
  • DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think 1 solid year of networking experience and the CCNP would put you in a really good light from a marketing / HR vantage point.
  • EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It's possible to be dismissed from consideration because they won't think you'll stay around. Once you have it, apply for jobs that require a CCNP as well as jobs that require the CCNA. In the interviews for CCNA positions, be enthusiastic about learning but only mention that you have a CCNA.
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    EANx wrote: »
    It's possible to be dismissed from consideration because they won't think you'll stay around. Once you have it, apply for jobs that require a CCNP as well as jobs that require the CCNA. In the interviews for CCNA positions, be enthusiastic about learning but only mention that you have a CCNA.

Let me go the other way on this:
    It would have to be a heck of a technical-interview before i hired someone with only 1-year experience for a CCNP-level position.

But i do agree with EANx.
    In fact, maybe have 2 resumes. One fore CCNA roles; One for CCNP roles.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    So if I understand, you were a NOC Tier 1 for a year and you're wondering what you'd be able to do if you got a CCNP? I'd say interview for network technician jobs or tier 2/3 NOC jobs if you like those environments. You should be able to get interviews for those, then it's just a matter of you selling yourself.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Look at consulting firms. They normally want people with a lot of certs for partnerships and marketing.

At the same time I have seen people not get interviews due to too many certs and not enough experience.