Not taking CISM this May, it's just too expensive

cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
I remember that I added it to my cart a little while ago and it was $635, must've been when I paid for the CISA because now they're telling me it's $710 discount included. Adding the books plus the application fee is going to run me close to 1k so I decided to pass.

Called them up today, after submitting a form yesterday online on their website with no answer, and tried to talk to a supervisor just to make sure I tried all my avenues before I quit. Was told the same thing to pay up $710 or pound sand so I'm going to pound sand for a while now :).

Tried to look for discount codes online but they're apparently given on a case by case situation. Tried everything I could but the fact that it's more expensive every year seems like robbery to me. Don't need it anyways, got CISSP and CISA, not to mention that I paid for those out of my own pocket so until I find an employer willing to pay their outrageous fees I'm sitting this one out.

If anyone has a discount code they don't need feel free to PM.

Thanks

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    If you think these small raises on a yearly basis are robbery, go check SANS pricing. I've never had an employer pay for my certs. I rather use their money for training, conferences, etc. To me certing is an investment in myself. It's worked great so far.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Agree with cyberguy. Even just challenging a GIAC exam is $1250. And yup, investing in myself has paid off tremendously so far.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sure, maybe for you guys, not my case though. Been in it for too long to care about certs anymore. If I move to a different employer or I find it's keeping me from getting another job I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. Not now though.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Well the good thing is you now have the flexibility to take it almost whenever you want and need to cross that bridge thanks to CBT.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • RogueJDRogueJD Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Please don't misunderstand this as a jab or anything, but I'm actually glad for the somewhat higher cost.

It's a control that arguably keeps the market from being flooded. If everyone could afford it, then sooner or later, the cert would be useless. Of course, there is the complexity of the exam to be considered... but still; if you cast a wider net, you're going to get a lot of junk caught in it.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If the ROI for him isn't there, it isn't there. I'm sure there definitely alot others out there where 1k on this cert would be more than worthwhile for them. All depends on the jobs your going for. I'm sure if someone was going for a managerial position it would probably improve their chances on landing a position and could see the ROI almost instantly.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The exams are expensive but they're not that bad. I guess what it comes down to is what is the return on investment for obtaining the certification with the experience.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My boss convinced me that I should take it and I paid the vampires $710. I haggled on Ebay with a seller for two books, a manual, and a questions book from 2015. No way I'm paying ISACA $300+ for the two books the new edition. I feel confident enough that I can pass the exam without any book anyways but don't want to fail it either and blame it on myself for not getting the books.

IMHO I think the exams, I took CISA, from ISACA are far more complicated than CISSP. I saw a thread/something somewhere, someone asking, but CISA seemed very difficult to me as compared to the joke that CISSP was. CISM seems however closer to the CISSP than CISA so... wish me luck.

As far as the benefit from it: not much benefit at all. I was required to have the CISSP and I took the CISA and the CISM just for fun, not expecting to get another job in the coming years but.... I don't know.. they're good to have I guess. As far as benefits for me personally? None so far, maybe in the future. I don't even have it my signature because I used to laugh when I saw signatures like that :). Now that I think about it the only certs that have some value to me are CCIE and OSCP.

Anyways, thank you guys for your advice and I'm waiting for my books to come so I can start "studying" lol!!! And a little bit off topic, I got my CISA approved a few days ago after six weeks of wait. I was on the December exam and applied a little bit later.