Options

I'm ready to walk out the door without 2 weeks notice.

124»

Comments

• Options
    9bits9bits Member Posts: 138 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Told me if I stay, they will change things and make it work. Asked me take a day to think about it. So, thats the counter offer i guess.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/74026-beware-counter-offer.html
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    So basically they're willing to do anything but fix the reason you're leaving in the first place? I guess at this point you need to figure out if being miserable working with this jerk is worth it for (maybe if they actually come through with it....) more money.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    RemedympRemedymp Member Posts: 834 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'm surprised you're still there. I'd rather be at Walmart stocking shelves...
  • Options
    PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've never had a counter-offer experience, but I am always incredibly calculating when I make my decisions. If I have decided to part ways, it's because I tried all other avenues first. If they REALLY wanted me to stay, it would not have come to a point where I needed to put in my notice. The way I deal with the guilt is offering extended services free of charge. None of my previous companies have accepted, but I have always gotten positive recommendations from management afterwards.
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    I declined my counter offer recently. It was a wierd working environment where I liked my job, but the people were taxing and unstable. The company would hire anyone with a pulse and baseline certification, so the vetting process was none existent. Turns out my boss has another complaint against them and the natives are restless and sharpening their pitch forks. Moral of the story is, don't expect for the culture to change anytime soon, the issue is usually deeper rooted than just one person.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    A counter offer can sometimes mean, "Stick around until we find someone to replace you, then we'll be all to happy to cut ties."

If your guilt is getting to you, offer a compromise. You'll stick around for "x" months at a "y" increase in salary, then if a noticeable improvement has been made, you'll be happy to stay on (get it in writing). If nothing changes, you can leave or they can bounce you, but in all likelihood you'll have made more money and had time to line something up. If they don't go for it, you're no worse off.
  • Options
    JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Sure what they offered is nice, but that's not why you were leaving. Tell them it's you or the other guy. That's it.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Something I didn't mention is that I already have something lined up. A week after my original post went to an interview and was offered the job 2 days later. Compensation wise is almost at the same level but in terms of organization its a bigger team. Waited a week for the background checks to clear, I start next month. This was the only interview i went to and the 2 people that interviewed me seemed passionate about the projects they have in the works.
  • Options
    GSXR750K2GSXR750K2 Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Something I didn't mention is that I already have something lined up ... I start next month.

In that case, congratulations. :)
  • Options
    TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
    GSXR750K2 wrote: »
    In that case, congratulations. :)

Thanks! Yeah I wouldn't have left if I didn't have something. That was not an option.But got lucky with this one, process was smooth.
  • Options
    xxxkaliboyxxxxxxkaliboyxxx Member Posts: 466
    Some of the things that made me accept the offer from the new company even though my current company matched the pay:

1. Free food and drinks
    2. I got along with people at the company (I could see myself working with them day in and day out)
    3. Gym on site
    4. Awesome area (Austin)
    5. Chance to expand my knowledge and work on different security projects
    6. Security personnel have been at the job for about 3+ years (long time in infosec)
    7. CIO has a history of running successful security teams
    7. Probably most important to me, I'll have a chance to work with someone that I can learn from and grow professionally.
    Studying: GPEN
    Reading
    : SANS SEC560
    Upcoming Exam: GPEN