Options

Security+ in a month

Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
Hi guys, I just found out that I have a month before I have to get security plus cert. What'a a good training regimen would you say? How can I pull this off? I got my network+ a week ago.
"The winner takes it all"

Comments

• Options
    NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Grab Gibson's Security+ book and read it. As long as you understand whats in the book you should be able to pass the test. Could knock the test out in a week if you are able read it all and absorb all the info. (I couldn't but just saying its possible)
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Definitely get Gibson's book, but then get everything else you can too. IE, do you work somewhere with CBT Nuggets or Pluralsight subscriptions? Do you have a Safari subscription?

Comptia does not require a delay between first and second attempts at the test, according to the retake policy,s o you only have to give yourself a one day buffer. SO make use of that month and study as much as you can.

https://certification.comptia.org/testing/test-policies/comptia-certification-retake-policy
  • Options
    McxRisleyMcxRisley Member Posts: 494 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I was able to pass the 401 in a month by reading only the Pearson book. Now with that being said, I was lucky because at the time I was a newbie to security and I came very close to failing.
    I'm not allowed to say what my previous occupation was, but let's just say it rhymes with architect.
  • Options
    GeekyChickGeekyChick Member Posts: 323 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Yes, you can do this. I just got my N+ a month ago and I'm going slow and I'm almost ready to take Sec+. I'm using Gibson's book and Professor Messer's videos.
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Gibsons Book and his GCGA Site "Premium Content" will get you where you need to be in a month!
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Yes. Read one of the books, do the practice tests (end of chapter, or whatever is included with your book). It comes down to how fast you can read, how well you can understand and remember, and how well you can retrieve the info in an exam situation.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    SeekBytesSeekBytes Member Posts: 143
    I would also watch Prof. Messer video series. I think it's a bit more accurate than the CBT one.
  • Options
    Alright, I purchased the complete Gibson Security+ course off of his website! Wish me luck! I'll be sure to let you guys know how it goes.
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Good luck man, KNOW THE MATERIAL, not just memorize questions man. Most of the questions are scenario based.
  • Options
    RewireRewire Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used only Darril Gibson's content and passed with an 823, and that was only because about 5 questions on the test weren't in any of the material. The content is definitely good enough, but make sure you do the practice tests. They work wonders as long as you read the explanations and know why the correct answers are the correct answer.

Do ALL of the practice tests and then run through the "Are you ready?" 100 question exam nonstop a few times each day up till exam day.

The tests were way more useful to me than the book.

I passed with only 2 weeks of studying his content.
  • Options
    A bit of an update for you guys-

I just plowed through Darill Gibson's book in a little under a week and scored an 81% on the post-assessment. A little disappointing, but at least there's room for improvement.

I have spring break this week so I have a lot of free time to study. I figure if I give his book a second read-through and just slam his study material incessantly then I might be ready to take the exam on the 18th. What do you guys think would be a good criteria to pass for me to know when I am "ready"?

Also, I could divulge into other study resources besides his book, such as using uCertify for labs, or watching Messer's videos. Is that even worth my time, or should I just put all of it into Gibson's book?

Thanks.
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    Do the practice test/s, identify areas of weakness, study up on those and maybe use other resources or Google a topic to get more info so that you feel comfortable with it.

Personally, I wouldn't re-read the whole book again. I think that once you've worked on the areas of weakness, then the next things to do is practice tests. You need to practice your information retrieval, since that's what the exam relies on.

I'd say that if you are getting 80%+ you are close to ready.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM