Options

Failed with a 730

TheNewGuyyTheNewGuyy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I had been going really hard on the studying this entire past week. Reading Gibson's material and doing some of his practice exams and quizzes. I literally only used that book. Should I look into his website and study material he has there? I need to get this done before travel so I am rescheduling for about 11 days from now. Any tips to help me get this done would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    I actually haven't passed Sec+ yet but I did fail an exam recently and I know how it hurts. What you gotta do is read the print out you received that detailed each section you got a wrong answer in, and review those. Your score was ridiculously close to passing so if you do that and maybe a little brush up with Professor Messer's YouTube videos pertaining to those areas, I believe you will pass.
    "The winner takes it all"
  • Options
    RewireRewire Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used only Darril Gibson's content and passed with an 823, and that was only because about 5 questions on the test weren't in any of the material. The content is definitely good enough, but make sure you do the practice tests. They work wonders as long as you read the explanations and know why the correct answers are the correct answer.

Do ALL of the practice tests and then run through the "Are you ready?" 100 question exam nonstop a few times each day up till exam day.

The tests were way more useful to me than the book.

I passed with only 2 weeks of studying his content.
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Rewire wrote: »
    100 question exam nonstop a few times each day up till exam day.
    Repeating the same practice questions won't make you know the material...you will just remember those answers.

The cliff notes I see are....you studied a week and failed. Sounds like you need to study more, especially on the areas you scored low on the exam (see exam printout you received). I would consider looking into CBT Nuggets or something similar to help you prepare.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Keep on going and never give up. Good luck for next time!
  • Options
    LittleBITLittleBIT Member Posts: 320 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should use the results and get reinforcement in the areas you lack in.

I passed using ONLY his book as well, and reading the definitions at the end of the book a few times. If I couldnt explain them, I would re read them. I suck at encryption, but I atleast know what the acronym is, and sorta what it does. Thats enough to answer CompTIA questions hah. Best of luck next go around. Stay positive
    Kindly doing the needful
  • Options
    ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    I'd say get the Premium Content at GCGA and he has all the "Remember This" and Chapter Reviews in downloadable files. I listened to those for hours until I knew them, I took the quizzes and tests in the book also and on the site. That's what got me my pass! Don't beat yourself up, I doubt you can be ready with solely a week of study, it's not A+ and Net+so you have to know the stuff...
  • Options
    TheNewGuyyTheNewGuyy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it. So I bought Darrils premium access site and I feel fairly confident now. I understand just about every question, but they are way easier than the SEC+ questions. I have been reading all explanations, even when I get the answer correct. I am hoping this will provide me with a better understanding of the material. I have my print out that shows me the areas that I missed questions in, so I think I am going to use that to touch up on those areas using professor messer's free youtube videos and go section by section according to what I struggled on. I also plan to listen to all of the audio files from Gibson's site to help retain important information. Is there anything else you guys can recommend to me? My second attempt is this upcoming Wednesday and I want to give it my all! Thanks for the support. Nice people on the internet, who knew? :)
  • Options
    NyhmesisNyhmesis Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    TheNewGuyy wrote: »
    Thank you all for the information. I appreciate it. So I bought Darrils premium access site and I feel fairly confident now. I understand just about every question, but they are way easier than the SEC+ questions. I have been reading all explanations, even when I get the answer correct. I am hoping this will provide me with a better understanding of the material. I have my print out that shows me the areas that I missed questions in, so I think I am going to use that to touch up on those areas using professor messer's free youtube videos and go section by section according to what I struggled on. I also plan to listen to all of the audio files from Gibson's site to help retain important information. Is there anything else you guys can recommend to me? My second attempt is this upcoming Wednesday and I want to give it my all! Thanks for the support. Nice people on the internet, who knew? :)
    How'd you do? I'm taking mine tomorrow.