Options

Thoughts on MicroCertifications?

jstockjstock Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I came across the following article on CIO's website today, How microcertifications work for IT job seekers and employers | CIO

I have recently registered an account with Cybrary and find it pretty useful. I see the benefit of MicroCertifications in their limited scope and affordable prices. Do you see this trend continuing and maybe threatening the more major certifications?

Comments

• Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I love it, I think it makes the most sense.

Blown out large arse degrees that align with nothing but theory are tiresome..... Some certifications fall into this bucket as well.

"certifications are expensive, time-consuming and often don't accurately assess the hands-on skills needed to succeed in a role". Ain't that the truth

Thanks for posting OP, nice post!
  • Options
    PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I love the idea, actually.

But how do you guys feel about listing a Cybrary microcertification, an EdX MicroMasters, or a Udacity Nanodegree on your resume?
  • Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Bad idea.

Undermines the value of "big" certifications. People will need to develop ways to distinguish between micro and big and majority of them won't do that and in the result will confuse micro and big and there will be some folks who will be treated the same way as if they have big certs based on them claiming they are "certified" but those are micro.

I hope this thing dies.
  • Options
    clarkincnetclarkincnet Member Posts: 256 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Cybrary emailed me (and most likely everyone else they had contact information for) and gave out codes to take free tests. I took them up on the codes and took two of their test (PCI/DSS and PII) just to see what the micro-certification hub-bub was about. For the record, Cybrary has some AWESOME courses, great instructors, and on-target content for the classes I've taken. I recommend them for education.

The PCI/DSS test had some strangely worded questions. I realized afterward that they were picked up verbatim from the PCI/DSS official wording. That's what made them seem strange. The majority of the questions were written in easy going sentences and then suddenly there was a question with $100 words. One of the questions had the same answer twice as (it was repeated for both C and D).

The PII test was just plain easy. I got one wrong and it's most likely the one that I disagreed with the answer I think they wanted you to pick.

For both tests, some of the questions were just silly easy - such as:

Q: What animal is a dog?

Answers:
    A. Bird
    B. Ice cream
    C. Dog
    D. Germany

I think given time, they will improve their tests and (hopefully) maybe they conduct some content-expert feedback on the questions / answers.
    Give a hacker an exploit, and they will have access for a day, BUT teach them to phish, and they will have access for the rest of their lives!

Have: CISSP, CISM, CRISC, CGEIT, ITIL-F
  • Options
    jeremywatts2005jeremywatts2005 Member Posts: 347 ■■■■□□□□□□
    My current company is pushing Nano_Degrees big time and even paying for them out of tuition assistance with no reimbursement paperwork. I was asked if I wanted to pursue one. I asked what in the heck do I need a nano-degree for. I have two Masters of Sci degrees and almost a doctorate. I guess you could use a nano-degree if you want to try to break into a new field using transferable skills from another. I don't know how I would view that as a manager, though. Someone walks in with a 4 yr degree out of the field and another with a nano-degree in the field. Hmmm, I am taking the 4yr guy and train him. The nano-degree which is likely in the field doesn't really provide but a very basic level of knowledge. The dude with the nano-degree is likely transferring from another field also.
  • Options
    Right, it really seems like the Nanodegree/MicroMasters is about the same as a certification/graduate certificate. Just rebranded.
  • Options
    jstockjstock Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do like the content of Cybrary and the concept of MicroCertifications, but I agree with @clarkincneet that the tests are far too easy and need some work. I like the limited scope, allowing people to develop their skills in a specific area, instead of studying for a test that says they know everything about a very broad subject.

The current state of the certification market is causing a decrease in the respect and value of certifications. Now with these MicroCertifications, I see certifications becoming even more devalued.
  • Options
    DatabaseHeadDatabaseHead Member Posts: 2,753 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The limited scope is what is appealing to me. I am not a DBA nor do I ever want to become one. However I would like to show I can write SQL extremely well and that my data skills are highly develop.

Speaking of which maybe I can come up with an ANSI standard certification for SQL that provides testing of the ANSI standard and not at the product level.
  • Options
    I can see microcerts falling by the wayside or filling a niche.

Kinda like Brainbench.
  • Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    From my perspectives, these microcerts and nano-degrees are possibly a good inexpensive way for people to get training and exposure to specific narrow areas. I can see the value. However, I can't see them having the same degree (no pun intended) of value on a resume. I don't see myself ever calling out a resume to interview a candidate because of microcerts or nanodegrees. However, during the interview process, I always like to know what a candidate does to continually learn and hone their craft. If the candidate starts to talk about all the different training that he/she does using microcerts, that would probably catch my attention.

Microcerts just seem like a new marketing spin on the old "certificate of achievement" conept from the various training programs that have been around forever. For one thing - as far as I can tell - none of these microsocerts are ANSI CAP accredited.
  • Options
    stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    As a manager, I would like to see these grouped under continuing education on the resume and LinkedIn. I think they hold value if, for instance, I see an IT person getting additional training that is business oriented. That shows me that s/he is interested in how IT is here to support the business and that s/he is interested in learning the business side to get that understanding. The training can be general business topics but kudos for focusing on the knowledge area for the business I am part of.

Just my thoughts.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    stryder144 wrote: »
    I would like to see these grouped under continuing education on the resume and LinkedIn.

Yes, this is what I'd tend towards. I have some big qualifications (degrees) and some little ones (certificates) along with the certifications and a load of "short courses". The big ones are the foundations, the 'proof' that you've put in the hard yards and have some breadth and depth of knowledge. The little ones and certifications show skill in a more narrow focus. The short courses are about showing an ongoing commitment to learning and professional development.

I'd put these microcertifications and nanodegrees, in that same basket of showing ongoing engagement and learning. It's a bit like how various certification bodies with continuing education requirements will allow you to credit webinars. It's not that you learn a whole lot from 1 - 5 hours of online webinars and quizzes, it's more that you are keeping engaged. If you've got a solid track record in professional development, that should add something to your worth.

Sometimes these aren't so much things for the resume, but things for the interview.

But perhaps I have too much faith in the hiring process.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    swampratswamprat Member Posts: 76 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think you're right, PJ, though only time will tell. I haven't heard that name for a long time, but i used to have a pile of brainbench certificates by my desk. Part of the problem with a lot of attempts like these is that cheap/free plus limited scope tends to also mean limited policing, limited time investment in the test itself by the writers, and hence limited testing/proof of any actual skill in those who have passed the test and hold the microcertification. There is a reason that certifications and degrees take more time, both for the tester and the test writer.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    OctalDump wrote: »
    Yes, this is what I'd tend towards. I have some big qualifications (degrees) and some little ones (certificates) along with the certifications and a load of "short courses". The big ones are the foundations, the 'proof' that you've put in the hard yards and have some breadth and depth of knowledge. The little ones and certifications show skill in a more narrow focus. The short courses are about showing an ongoing commitment to learning and professional development.

I'd put these microcertifications and nanodegrees, in that same basket of showing ongoing engagement and learning. It's a bit like how various certification bodies with continuing education requirements will allow you to credit webinars. It's not that you learn a whole lot from 1 - 5 hours of online webinars and quizzes, it's more that you are keeping engaged. If you've got a solid track record in professional development, that should add something to your worth.

Sometimes these aren't so much things for the resume, but things for the interview.

But perhaps I have too much faith in the hiring process.

I agree with Octal ( see above)

For the Micro-certifications, is there any sort of proctoring for the test? If not, then I would just take these for the knowledge and that's it.

From what I understand the nano degrees are geared more toward people wanting to be programmers, data scientists, developers ect. These nano degrees seem pretty new to me. They seem to have a lot in common with the programming schools popping up as of late.

If you're interested in programming, then check out code ranch: You can see if it's something you really like. (the site is free)
    https://coderanch.com/

Another thing is I have a HDI cert that did NOT have a proctored test. I didn't learn much from that cert, and hardly any employers care about that cert when I listed in on my resume. I have stopped listing on my resume by the way.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    tedjamestedjames Member Posts: 1,179 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'll probably work through some of these micro certifications but only to reinforce knowledge I need to pass bigger certifications. I don't know that I'll list them on my resume, though. Think of them as very focused practice tests. I agree with the statement that they may serve as good sources of continuing education
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree with the sentiment that these can be good for professional development, but not so much for resume padding.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...