XRY Advanced App Analysis

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Today I started the XRY Advanced Apps Analysis course. This course is built around pulling data from applications that are not currently supported by XRY. This day was all about hex and diving into sqlite3 (both of which are familiar topics for me). Definitely was very interesting and I picked up a couple tidbits I hadn't known before. Tomorrow will be all sqlite3 and Python, with another day of Python. So far I am really enjoying the XRY products and their coursework has been great!
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    So Day 2 was all about hex and let me tell you I thought I was ok with hex...apparently not. Definitely very interesting and we basically went about pulling all the deleted data from an SQLite database and rebuilding (show it only showed what was deleted). It was a really long day, but in the end I left feeling like I understood it for the most part. I'll be aiming to work with it more at home so I can get a better feel for it. Tomorrow is a little more hex and then all Python for the rest of the day along with the following day.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    I had to Google it as I hadn't heard about it before. Definitely looks like some good stuff for those involved in mobile forensics.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
  • PJ_SneakersPJ_Sneakers Member Posts: 884 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I would love to get into the advanced XRY classes but our budget is shot to hell. Really fun stuff. You should attend Cellebrite training too, those guys are top notch as well.
    Yeah I lucked out in two ways: we're a State agency and management is making a big push to make us the best at mobile forensics. We have a huge backlog of phones (growing by the day) and our regional lab can't accommodate us as much as we need. As for Cellebrite (which is another product we use) management has sent a survey in regards to training we'd like to attend next. At this time I'm going to focus on what's in front of me and then see where I should go.

Today was about an hour of hex and then all Python! Most of the Python I already knew, but this is the basics to get everyone on an even footing. That said it was nice to get some explanations about things in Python that I knew about, but didn't have a firm grasp on. Tomorrow will be more Python and some practical application. Friday will be more practical application and the exam.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds like your getting sent to do some pretty good training from your company. icon_thumright.gif
    Yeah my agency is sparing no expense when it comes to training. Based on my speaking with others it seems the Cyber Unit has been neglected for a number of years and now they're building it up. Got the personnel and they are skilled just a matter of adding some additional training.

Today was all Python again and I realized I knew a lot more Python than I thought. The good thing is I was able to get explanations to items I didn't understand previously which was a great help. It also allowed me to add extra things to the scripts we were writing. Definitely some really great stuff that can be done when you add in the use of Python. Tomorrow is a little more Python and then the certification exam.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    Last day of class! We did some more practical Python, which was a good thing as it let us decide how to go about getting and formatting the information we wanted. After that was lunch and then we took the certification exam. I didn't find it difficult, but the question were a bit of a challenge. Overall very happy with the training and looking forward to the next class.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff