Options

Kevin Wallace's Dijkstra Calculations confusion

dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
Just watchin some of Kevin Wallace's videos on OSPF and SPF (Dijkstra) calculations. I'm really confused with some of the numbers he's getting.

For instance from node: R1->10.3.3.0 from the perspective of 10.1.1.0 he gets 3? I would've thought this would be 2.

I'm not sure but it seems he's adding both outgoing and incoming interface values. I thought that when calculating Dijkstra with a weight graph like this we only used 1 directions value.
wyB8Yns.png?2

Comments

• Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    Maybe I'm looking at this in the wrong way, but the way I see it is, starting at R1 (on Network 10.1.1.0 /24) there's a cost of '1' to the Switch plus another cost of '1' from the Switch to R2 and another cost of '1' to the next Switch (using Network 10.3.3.0 /24). Total Cost '3'.

No longer an active member
  • Options
    dontstopdontstop Member Posts: 579 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was under the impression that we don't add costs of Layer 2 devices when calculating Layer 3 paths icon_scratch.gif We only consider the outgoing interfaces cost until the next router.

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet
  • Options
    rob42rob42 Member Posts: 423
    I understand what you're saying, and I concur. I've not seen the video, so I'm surmising, but if he's talking about Dijkstra's algorithm, it could be that he's not talking in a literal way about OSPF Costs, but more in a conceptual way. Or it could be that he's just plain wrong! icon_lol.gif
    No longer an active member