Options

Does WGU Still Use Flash, Java, Silverlight, and other plug-ins?

Cert PoorCert Poor Member Posts: 240 ■■■□□□□□□□
Sup! This forum's really persuaded me to look into WGU more. From their WGU Computer System Requirements page, we see:
WGU wrote:
6. The following multimedia apps/plugins:
  • PDF reader software (e.g. Adobe Reader, Apple Preview, Foxit Reader, etc.)
  • Adobe Flash
  • Adobe Shockwave
  • Adobe AIR
  • Apple Quicktime
  • Java
  • Microsoft Silverlight

I realize documentation and Knowledge Bases can really get out of date, and I also realize that page is really generic and may not specifically apply to their IT degrees, but at least one small part of me hopes that a tech savvy leader in the online degree industry like WGU keeps up with security best practices.

Just out of idle curiosity... has WGU switched over to HTML5 multimedia, or are they dependent on any of the above plug-ins? It's not the end of the world, so perhaps I can use a separate Chrome installation if Flash is needed or maybe do more sandboxing and virtualization.

Maybe we can also put pressure on them as their customers and future customers for them to modernize (assuming they use plug-ins, but waiting on you all's answer).

Thanks in advance! I won't apply for several months since I'm trying to get a lot of certs done in advance (including re-taking A+/Net+/Sec+ since it's been >5 years), so this will give some time to take action.
In progress: MTA: Database Fundamentals (98-364)
Next up: CompTIA Cloud Essentials+ (CLO-002) or LPI Linux Essentials (010-160)
Earned: CompTIA A+, Net+, Sec+, Server+, Proj+
ITIL-F v3 2011 | ServiceNow CSA, CAD, CIS | CWNP CWTS

Comments

• Options
    TranceSoulBrotherTranceSoulBrother Member Posts: 215
    It's not them specifically as much as some of their partners. Skillsoft still uses Java for their courses and some Bookshelf books didn't load on my tablet. Mindtap books are similarly a bit hard to navigate on a tablet though they have their own app.