Skype for Business

kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everyone,

Our company has recently moved to office 365 and using s4b now as their IM. Currently users aren't able to save their conversation history as that option is unticked and greyed out. How do I undo this and enable this feature?

Thanks for any help

Comments

  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you saying that it s4b client settings under options-personal - that the end-user cannot select "Save IM conversations in my email conversation history folder"? When users were moved to Office 365, was the version of s4b upgraded as well. There are actually multiple version of s4b client and the standalone version may not support exchange integration. Best way to test it is to install Skype and install it fro the Office 365 portal.
  • tmtextmtex Member Posts: 326
    If I remember I will look tomorrow. I think its a on/off thing in the admin section
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I just looked in the admin center - I didn't see any obvious settings there.
  • kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Are you saying that it s4b client settings under options-personal - that the end-user cannot select "Save IM conversations in my email conversation history folder"? When users were moved to Office 365, was the version of s4b upgraded as well. There are actually multiple version of s4b client and the standalone version may not support exchange integration. Best way to test it is to install Skype and install it fro the Office 365 portal.

    Yeah on the client the option is greyed out and not ticked. How we installed it was through the online portal as we hadn't been using Skype.

    I've checked through the admin center on the portal and we have no option there. I also had a look in regedit to see if I can enable save history but can't see anything.

    I'm wonder if I'm going to have to run some sort of cmdlet on exchange to allow it.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    interesting - I'm kinda fascinated by your problem because I've seen some unexpected things with Skype in the past. One other thing - when you installed from the Office portal - there are actually 3 different installs. Are you installing the one that say Skype 2015 for Office 365. Also - you may want to make sure that latest Outlook from portal is installed as well. Are your end-users using Windows 10.
  • kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    interesting - I'm kinda fascinated by your problem because I've seen some unexpected things with Skype in the past. One other thing - when you installed from the Office portal - there are actually 3 different installs. Are you installing the one that say Skype 2015 for Office 365. Also - you may want to make sure that latest Outlook from portal is installed as well. Are your end-users using Windows 10.

    Today looking at it my conversation folder had been updated were before it hadn't. Also some users seem to be able to save the conversation by using Ctrl-S and that will save it for them.

    We had been recently acquired by another company (sorry should've mentioned that) but they have yet to find the problem they say that they haven't restricted us in any way.

    Skype was downloaded as part of the proplus from the portal. Maybe it's a globe policy they have set and haven't realised.

    It's causing a lot of trouble within the company as IM is used quite a lot and currently don't have a way to look back over stuff.

    Through our exchange server can I use a cmd to see what policy maybe set with us?
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    oh - a recent acquisition. So are the machines for the endusers in the same domain? They don't need to be - but maybe it's related. Also - I use s4b on my mobile - I do see that sometimes conversations dont' get saved if I start the conversation on my mobile before I move to my computer. But that is a problem that I haven't seen recently - perhaps a defect that was fix since I've seen a few s4b updates recently.
  • kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    No we've been kept on our own domain separate from them. Yeah that's another problem for some. The mobile app doesn't save anything or when you receive a message and click in it's gone sometimes so you have no idea what was sent as you have no history. That seems to have it's only issues I think maybe I need to enable to enable server side conversations.

    If only I can figure out how I can save conversation history would save so much headache.
  • kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just to give an update on this HQ of our new owners got back to me. I was told that IM conversation history was turned off for legal reasons and was applied throughout the entire company on the global policy. Then all of a sudden it was turned back on with no notice. If it stays like this I've no idea but makes the world of difference for our company having it enabled.I'll have to plenty of studying on O365!!
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Ahh - makes sense. I started to play around with O365 after you posted this thread. It's definitely got some very nice features. I like much better than G-Suite. And the integration is excellent. My only complaint is that there seems to be so many app clients which makes it confusing.
  • kavo87kavo87 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    paul78 wrote: »
    Ahh - makes sense. I started to play around with O365 after you posted this thread. It's definitely got some very nice features. I like much better than G-Suite. And the integration is excellent. My only complaint is that there seems to be so many app clients which makes it confusing.
    I feel that same way and it's causing confusion in the office with staff with what they should be using and if it requires training. I'm quite limited to what I can play around with but I keep finding something new everyday for admins. Think I might try get my cert in it when I get more free time could be very useful.
Sign In or Register to comment.