Options

IT job market in Charleston SC ??

MJK9550MJK9550 Member Posts: 160
Hey Guys

Haven't posted here in awhile, been quite busy. Am 99% sure I will be moving to Charleston at some point in the near future and curious about the job market there for us IT guys.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am familiar with this because I have been looking for a position there for half a year and have visited multiple times.

It breaks down this way:

1. Most jobs are DoD contracting positions. You will get a w2 from a company who is a contractor to the DoD/SPAWAR. The pay and benefits seem similar for all, but larger companies will offer more stability. Each contract has an annual re-compete clause/option that is more of a formality. However, it's still possible they lose it and after the duration of the contract, everyone gets to bid on it. Many people 'badge-hop' and are picked up by the next company. These jobs require a secret clearance but some employers will sponsor that.

2. There are a view big employers like Benefitfocus, Blackbaud, Boeing, Volvo, etc. Everyone knows of these companies so there is high awareness/demand when a position opens up.

3. There are a handle of smaller companies and tech companies.

I would say security and collaboration are most in demand. If you are in desktop or help desk, it will be difficult to secure employment before moving. It was primary a tourist town until a decade or so again, so many jobs are still in the service industry.

If you haven't visited yet, you will want to look at North Charleston, Goose Creek, Summerville, and West Ashley suburbs. North Charleston has some sketchy areas and Summerville is a good distance from the beach. Unless you want to stock up on roomies or are independently wealthy, downtown and Mt. Pleasant are probably off-limits.