Options

Pennsylvania vs West Coast

fpsofpso Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just got a job offer in PA. Can anyone maybe elaborate on what the differences are of living in PA vs the west coast?

Comments

• Options
    MCP2000MCP2000 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My wife is from PA and from my visits there over the years, winters are crazy cold and the summers can be hard to deal with heat wise! If you are a foodie, you have the Philly Cheesesteak and Primanti's sandwich in Pittsburgh to try as well.

Cost of living is much less than the west coast so depending on where you are living in PA and your salary, you could save a lot of money. Do a cost of living analysis online and it will show you the breakdown of how much you spend now out West vs what you may spend in PA.
  • Options
    Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Where in PA? There is a world of difference depending on where you are talking about in that state.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just typed a long response and my fat fingers got in the way and deleted it icon_rolleyes.gif.

I am near Pittsburgh. If you will be near there shoot me a PM and I will answer any questions I can. And yes, much cheaper to live here. Average 3 BR home where I live is about $125,000 and median household income is probably around $100,000. That goes up the closer you get to downtown.
  • Options
    mjnk77mjnk77 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Where on the west coast and where in PA? Western PA, ie Pittsburgh or Cranberry? Eastern PA, ie Philadelphia or King of Prussia?

As for weather, we (Philly) can have some hot summers, and cold winters, but it hasn't really been extreme either way in a few years. We are about to get hit with a snowstorm, but it's been a pretty mild, and unseasonably warm winter. We just had some days in the 70's. I enjoy the fall and spring weather, so you have to take the winter snd summer with it. Also, you're only about 1.5 hours from NYC, the NJ beaches, Baltimore, and 2-2.5 hours from DC. There's a lot to do in the Philadelphia area, even outside of the city.
  • Options
    dhay13dhay13 Member Posts: 580 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If it's the Pittsburgh area there are a few jobs in Cranberry Twp. (about 25 miles north of Pittsburgh) and a few just south of Pittsburgh (Canonsburg). The rest are primarily downtown. My last job was in Cranberry Twp. as a Sys Admin. Houses in Cranberry are a little higher than where I am, probably about 175,000 for a typical 3 BR house.
  • Options
    It's in Harrisburg
  • Options
    E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,231 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Major difference: the west coast is the best coast icon_cheers.gif
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • Options
    EANxEANx Member Posts: 1,077 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Harrisburg compared to where on the west coast? San Diego is very different than Seattle.

Harrisburg is a relatively small city with small city pros and cons. Housing isn't insane, traffic will be pretty good (as long as you stay away from DC) and if you like to ski, one of the better slopes in the area is nearby with a lot of other outdoors options.

Contrary to others opinions, it's doesn't get too hot in the area but it can get very humid on some warm summer days and I prefer summer days in Iraq to humid summer days on te east coast. Then there's also the snow. That area will get an average of maybe 20-24 inches per year so there would be days where you have to clear before going somewhere.
  • Options
    What west coast city are you trying to compare Harrisburg to?
  • Options
  • Options
    Quick search gsve me this:
    Cost of Living Indexes Eugene HarrisburgOverall 111 84.4
    Food 93.4 98.9
    Housing 133 44.9
    Utilities 88.2 114.1
    Transportation 105.9 106.7
    Health 116.5 94.4
    Miscellaneous 99.2 103.2
    100=national average

COMPARISON HIGHLIGHTS
    Harrisburg is 24% cheaper than Eugene.
    Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.
    Housing is 66% cheaper in Harrisburg.

Now, as for life outside of work, can't help much. I've had to do a few jobs in Harrisburg, but I'd work, then drive back to Philly. If you wanted to visit different cities out here, depending on traffic, you'd be 2 hrs from Philadelphia, 1.5 hrs from Baltimore, 3 hrs from NYC or the Jersey Shores, 2.5 hrs from DC.
  • Options
    I'm going to guess the pay on average is less as well
  • Options
    I
    fpso wrote: »
    I'm going to guess the pay on average is less as well

Don't really know. You should be able to check your offer vs posted salaries in both Harrisburg and Eugene.
  • Options
    adam220891adam220891 Member Posts: 164 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I live in NJ and have trouble accepting jobs west of Philadelphia. It depends what you want to get out of where you live. You'll be further from beach, you will be outside Philadelphia with no hope of public transportation to get there either. It's not too far from these things but it's not around the corner either. You won't be close to any major college or professional sports teams either. These things might not matter to you, but for me I'm not sure what I would do around there.

Pay is OK. Don't think cost of living will be too different from where you're coming from. I don't find a ton of value in CoL calculators. For example, I'm trying to find a position in Charleston, SC or St. Petersburg, FL. In NJ I can expect to rent a decent 2 bedroom apartment for 1000-1100 or so. That's basically what you'll spend in those cities. The lack of income tax in Florida and cheaper property tax in SC would make a difference, but for someone renting I think there's minimal amounts of money to be saved. And yet, I've had someone offer me 13% less based on the CoL calculator they referenced. Four months later they either lost the person they picked second or are still looking. Maybe it was a blessing in disguise, not sure.

Wish you the best of luck but you might want to visit first.