Taking Security+ Tomorrow!

NyhmesisNyhmesis Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
Wish me luck! I've been studying Gibson's book for the past few weeks, already have quite a few certs that will help and 4 years of doing IT professionally. This is one of the first exams I'm feeling very confident about, I hope it doesn't come back and bite me in the ass tomorrow. Got 92/100 on the post test in the book. Any last minute advice?

Comments

• p@r0tuXusp@r0tuXus Member Posts: 532 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Don't sweat it. Good luck!
    Completed: ITIL-F, A+, S+, CCENT, CCNA R|S
    In Progress: Linux+/LPIC-1, Python, Bash
    Upcoming: eJPT, C|EH, CSA+, CCNA-Sec, PA-ACE
  • NyhmesisNyhmesis Member Posts: 21 ■■■□□□□□□□
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    Don't sweat it. Good luck!
    Well I like the sound of that! The simulation questions are making me nervous though, I hear they fall out of scope pretty often.
  • PCTechLincPCTechLinc Member Posts: 646 ■■■■■■□□□□
    This is my generic "last-minute" advice: don't study the day before the exam. Your brain goes into overdrive exam-cram mode, and you end up second-guessing yourself about everything. At least, that's what happens to ME.

The current Security+ exam IS difficult, but if you've covered all the material, you should be fine. Just be careful with CompTIA's "what should you do FIRST" and "which of these answers is BEST" questions.

I'm also not familiar with Gibson's book, but I have no doubt it covers everything you need. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    Bachelor of Science in Network Administration - Western Governors University
    Associate of Applied Science x4 - Heald College
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    This is my generic "last-minute" advice: don't study the day before the exam. Your brain goes into overdrive exam-cram mode, and you end up second-guessing yourself about everything. At least, that's what happens to ME.

The current Security+ exam IS difficult, but if you've covered all the material, you should be fine. Just be careful with CompTIA's "what should you do FIRST" and "which of these answers is BEST" questions.

I'm also not familiar with Gibson's book, but I have no doubt it covers everything you need. Best of luck, and let us know how it goes!
    I hate those questions SO MUCH. And yeah I'm very guilty of second guessing myself during exams.
    Without breaking NDA, I'd say, keep in line with the objectives. When it comes to the way things look on a CLI, be familiar with your keys, hashes, log outputs and you'll be okay. If you can recognize these things in an applicable setting like the CLI, you'll be good for real world and the test shouldn't break you. I'd suggest skipping the sims and comming back to them at the end. It'll do you wonders for time/confidence and allow you to concentrate without feeling rushed. I really wish they'd put those things at the end. LoL
    Also, something I forgot that might do well for you: when you're done with the exam, MAKE EXTRA SURE you answered all the questions. I didn't realize that they started me on Question #2 (glitch?), and if I would've hit SUBMIT, I would have lost points from Question #1, which was a Sim. Glad I was paying attention there...
    Master of Business Administration in Information Technology Management - Western Governors University
    Master of Science in Information Security and Assurance - Western Governors University
    p@r0tuXus wrote: »
    I'd suggest skipping the sims and comming back to them at the end. It'll do you wonders for time/confidence and allow you to concentrate without feeling rushed. I really wish they'd put those things at the end. LoL
    I read this elsewhere and fully intend on doing so.
  • JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes! Like stated above, try not second guessing yourself. From my experience with this cert, I was doing it quite often. But, I made sure I went with my gut feeling.
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    Good luck today!
    Really hoping to hear some good news from ya.
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
    Cessation wrote: »
    Good luck today!
    Really hoping to hear some good news from ya.
    I'm hoping to bring back some good news lol, test is in about 2 hours and 40 minutes.
    I am excited to say that I passed with an 823!!! I had 7 simulations and they were honestly easier to me than some of the vague multiple choice questions.
    Awesome score! I was really glad to see your post when I just checked. icon_smile.gif
  • Deus Ex MachinaDeus Ex Machina Member Posts: 127
    Good to hear! Congrats!
    "The winner takes it all"
  • JD20JD20 Member Posts: 66 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • nisti2nisti2 Member Posts: 503 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wow Congrats!!
    2020 Year goals:
    Already passed: Oracle Cloud, AZ-900
    Taking AZ-104 in December.

"Certs... is all about IT certs!"
  • ultm8mindultm8mind Member Posts: 111
    Congrats man, welcome to the club!
  • Nik 99Nik 99 Member Posts: 154 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Out of curiosity, and without breaching the NDA, what did you find hardest about the exam?
    Good job!
  • Captain_DeadpoolCaptain_Deadpool Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats. Same score as me!
  • CessationCessation Member Posts: 326
    PCTechLinc wrote: »
    Awesome score! I was really glad to see your post when I just checked. icon_smile.gif

Hell yes!
    Nice work!
    A+, MCP(270,290), CCNA 2008.
    Working back on my CCNA and then possibly CCNP.
    Nik 99 wrote: »
    Congrats! Out of curiosity, and without breaching the NDA, what did you find hardest about the exam?

Hmmmm, I know a lot of people say the simulation questions kill them but for me those were the easiest, your results may vary. But I think the hardest part for me personally were all of the acronyms and there were quite a few questions that wanted the BEST answer and it usually had two that I would've considered correct.